How do you engage with the public?
Elected officials and leaders of organizations face hard decisions that affect communities and the people who live there. Bringing together experience, information and diverse perspectives in a respectful process allows communities to reach decisions that are more thoughtful, broadly supported and ultimately sustainable.
The process and how a leader makes their choices can increase public trust and support for decisions. Use the below community resources to learn strategies for involving and engaging with the public, planning and facilitating meetings and making group decisions.
Public involvement strategy
- Five reasons to involve others in public decisions
- Four tips for leading online meetings
- Three steps for engaging the public successfully
Meeting planning and facilitation
- Pros and cons of using internal and external facilitators
- Planning an effective meeting agenda
- Setting ground rules for productive discussions
Listen to podcasts, watch videos and read articles related to community engagement topics.