In 2023, the traditional 4-H Shooting Sports and Wildlife Invitational (State Shoot) is planned to be held Sept. 8-10 at the Alexandria Shooting Park.
Young people from across Minnesota will have the opportunity to compete in events including archery, muzzleloader, shotgun, air rifle, .22 rifle and air pistol. Skillathon, wildlife calling and conservation projects will also be available.
To get involved with 4-H shooting sports and wildlife, contact your local 4-H staff.
4-H youth in grades 3-13 who completed the required member certification hours under the guidance of a certified instructor may participate. In 2023, eight hours of wildlife education are required to participate. Counties with participants must have certified instructors in 4-H shooting sports and wildlife methodology and safety or work with a county that has certified instructors.
- Cloverbuds may not participate in the invitational.
- Youth who have completed third grade may participate in BB gun, skillathon, wildlife calling and cast iron cooking.
- Youth who have completed fourth grade may participate in other designated events.
- Registration forms and information are available at your Extension office or SS&W County Coordinator.
- Camping registration information - Alexandria Shooting Park
- Team registration information
- Team registration form - due by Aug. 11
Air rifle and pistol
Silhouette .177 caliber fun shoot
Wildlife contests (individual and county)
- Conservation projects
- Wildlife calling
- Participants by county and event
- Teams by county
- Individual schedules by county
- Wristband information
- National 4-H Shooting Sports Championships opportunity
Map of the event grounds
4-H youth from across the country compete in compound archery, recurve archery, air rifle, air pistol, .22 rifle, .22 pistol, shotgun, muzzleloading and hunting skills. The location changes from year to year.
You can take part this year if you competed in the Minnesota 4-H Shooting Sports and Wildlife Invitational last year.
If interested in participating, complete the 2024 National Championship interest form.
All Minnesota 4-H Shooting Sports & Wildlife members in good standing and meeting the criteria below are eligible to compete in the National 4-H SS Championships. Official 4-H enrollment is required.
- Participants must be 14 years old.
- Youth must have participated in the previous year's Minnesota 4-H SS&W Invitational in the discipline they would like to be involved in at nationals.
- Scores in the discipline from the previous year's Minnesota 4-H SS&W Invitational (if scores are the same, the oldest youth will go).
- Senior youth who have never gone to nationals.
- Senior youth who have attended nationals in the past.
- Intermediate youth who have never gone to nationals.