To run a county or multi-county shooting sports and wildlife program, instructors must be certified by Minnesota 4-H. Leader certification training is designed to cover the essential knowledge and rules to become a certified 4-H county instructor.
The Minnesota 4-H shooting sports and wildlife program development committee requires leaders to attend the certification training every seven years.
The training is designed for adults and youth (9th grade and up) that lead or would like to lead training in shooting sports or wildlife. Classes will be offered in the disciplines of coordinator, archery, rifle/pistol, shotgun, muzzleloading, and wildlife.
This training meets the 4-H project leaders' requirements for certification and re-certification. Although range time is on the schedule, the majority of the training is classroom work to become an effective instructor, not to practice your own shooting skills.
Upcoming leader certification training events
- SS&W coordinator training in two online sessions on Oct. 9 and 16. Register by Oct. 2.
- SS&W leader training in the Elk River area on Oct. 14. Register by Oct. 4.
- ATV safety leader training in the Elk River area on Oct. 14. Register by Oct. 4.
SS&W leader online training registration forms
Register to complete the required online course and webinar to prepare for a future in-person discipline training.
- You must complete the registration form for each event (see upcoming events above).
- New volunteers must complete the volunteer screening process.
- Step 1: Complete the National 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Online Training. This online training will fulfill many traditionally in-person instruction hours in volunteerism and positive youth development. There is no end date to complete, but will need to be completed prior to attending a one-day in-person discipline training. This course takes about 5 hours to complete. Register.
- Step 2 (recertification): Watch the recorded Minnesota 4-H SS&W Risk Management webinar. This recorded session is 50 minutes and the link will be emailed to you upon registration. Register.
For additional assistance with accessing the online trainings, contact Judy Christians at email@example.com or 507-372-3900, ext. 3902.
Has your county ever considered hosting a shooting sports and wildlife leader training? Do you have an interest in hosting an event within the next year? Would you like to host one close to your county so your volunteers could get trained close to home? If you answered yes to any of those questions, please read on!
There are several opportunities for shooting sports and wildlife leader trainings and we are looking for host sites throughout Minnesota. It would involve one or two weekend days (depending on disciplines offered) in which leaders come and get training in a specific discipline. A portion of the leader training will be completed online prior to the in-person discipline training.
If you have an interest in hosting a shooting sports and wildlife leader training, please contact Nicole Pokorney, Rochester regional office, 507-536-6304 or firstname.lastname@example.org.