Interested in having a retail trade analysis done for your community? Consulting with an Extension community economics educator will help you decide which approach to use to analyze your community's trade area.
Strengthen your community's retail sales market
Retail markets are changing, and local retailers are challenged to stay competitive. As a local business owner or community leader, how much do you know about your retail marketplace? Extension community economics educators conduct research on local economies. We create customized research reports that help communities get to know — and grow—their local retail economy. We'll present our retail research findings and generate discussion that can stimulate local action.
Benefits of a retail trade analysis
Your community will receive a customized report from Extension that will help you:
- Understand your community’s actual retail sales potential
- Learn which retailers attract shoppers to — and away from — your town
- Explore your community’s retail opportunities
- Know your town’s pull factor — what it means, and why it matters
A retail trade analysis helps strengthen your local marketplace by:
- Providing accurate local sales data
- Helping your community plan for business expansion or recruitment
- Comparing your community sales data to others
- Assessing the strengths and opportunities of your local businesses
Examples of completed reports
Review published retail trade analysis reports below to learn more about the work we've done in Minnesota communities.