Extension in Olmsted County
Welcome to Olmsted County
Olmsted County partners with Extension to deliver practical education and research you can use at home, at work and in your community.
There are several ways to join or re-enroll in 4-H.
- Join 4-H for the first time or re-enroll
- Enroll as an independent member
- Contact us at email@example.com if you have any questions or if you'd like a paper enrollment form
There are also many ways adults (anyone age 18+) can support youth learning and leading in 4-H.
Want to learn about volunteering with the 4-H Youth Development Program?
Visit the Volunteering with 4-H page to learn more about how volunteers positively impact youth and community
Contact your 4-H Extension Educator to learn about specific roles available in your community
Ready to become a screened Minnesota 4-H volunteer?
Visit the Apply to become a 4-H volunteer page to begin the application and screening process
4-H events in Olmsted County
Attend a 4-H event near you.
Statewide 4-H events
Find a 4-H event in Minnesota.
4-H news in Olmsted County
Stay informed about all that is happening in Olmsted County 4-H.
Statewide 4-H news
Learn more about what is happening in Minnesota 4-H.
4-H Youth Development is a hands-on learning program for Minnesota youth. We offer online, small group and independent learning experiences for youth of all ages. In 4-H, youth choose the topic they find interesting and caring adults support their learning and leadership. From agronomy to space exploration and creative arts to outdoor adventures, 4-H has just the right learning experience for young people.
There are many ways to participate in 4-H!
Find a 4-H club
- Each club is a little different and it's important to find the right fit for your family. You don't have to choose the club nearest to your house. Some families choose to drive a little farther to join a club with people they already know, a club with other youth the same age, or just by what fits best in your schedule. Visit a few and see how you feel!
- View a list of Olmsted County 4-H clubs.
Spotlight: Finding You in 4-H
- This bi-monthly newsletter sent to first-year 4-H'ers will guide you through the 4-H year. If you're new to 4-H and not receiving Spotlight, please let us know!
Deadlines and events
- See our county calendar for office hours, activities, deadlines, and more!
Minnesota 4-H Family Handbook
- This handbook is an introduction to 4-H for families. Contact the office if you'd like a print copy.
Gifts support 4-H youth development in Olmsted County, and local programming coordinated by the Olmsted County 4-H Council.
*The following resources are for 2023. They will be updated and re-posted throughout the year. Let us know if you're looking for something that's not here!
County Fair Schedule on p.2 of Premium Book
Registration and FairEntry
All About Fair - previously-shared communications
Stalling Form - complete by July 15
Blue Ribbon Auction
Buyer Letter (mailed to previous buyers 6/6/22)
Example script to use with buyers
Dairy Genetics & Production
State Fair Chaperone Application
Agriculture events in Olmsted County
Attend an agriculture-related event near you.
Statewide agriculture events
Agriculture conferences, in-person events and online courses are offered all year around the state.
Agriculture news in Olmsted County
Find the latest on Extension agricultural research and news you can use on your farm from local experts.
Statewide news and blogs
- Agricultural Business Management News - Business and financial resources for farmers.
- Beef News - Beef industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Dairy News - Dairy industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Fruit and Vegetable News - Local production and marketing of fruit and vegetable crops in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Crop News - Emerging issues affecting Minnesota row crops and forages.
Are you curious about farm or crop land rental rates in Olmsted County? You can find that information and more in the Managing a Farm section of this website.
Private pesticide applicators must be recertified every 3 years. Find out about the recertification process and more information on private pesticide applicators.
You can pick up private pesticide applicator test booklets and manuals at the Olmsted County Extension office.
Who are Master Gardener volunteers?
- Master Gardeners come from all walks of life.
- They share gardening best practices that promote healthy landscapes, healthy foods and healthy lives.
- They complete a core course taught by University faculty and Extension educators.
- Upon completing the core course, they contribute their time teaching research-based horticulture practices in their communities.
- You can learn more about the program by watching our 2021 Virtual Tour with the Masters!
- Become a Master Gardener by filling out the application here.
Gardening events in Olmsted County
Find gardening learning opportunities online and near you.
Statewide gardening events
Find out about the Master Gardener Volunteer core course or attend other events offered throughout the year.
Gardening news in Olmsted County
Find the latest gardening tips and news you can use in your own back yard from local experts.
Yard and Garden News
Gardening tips and emerging issues affecting Minnesota.
- Become a Master Gardener volunteer - Find out how to join the program.
- Master Naturalist volunteers work in your community
- U of M Yard and Garden Resources - Use this site to find information on a variety of horticultural topics from the University of Minnesota.
- U of M Yard and Garden News - Receive up-to-date information from horticulture Extension educators through Yard and Garden News articles.
- U of M Diagnostic Tools - Diagnose plant and garden problems.
This scholarship fund, created in memory of Albert Dashow, supports interns on their way to becoming Master Gardeners.
Donate to the fund and help promote the Master Gardener Volunteer Program in Olmsted County.
- See our office hours, events, and more on our calendar
- Log your volunteer hours in the Master Gardener database
- OCEMGV Garden Map
- Watch OCEMGV presentations!
- Check out Master Gardener volunteer signup opportunities:
The Olmsted County Extension Master Gardener Volunteer Program is unable to accept project requests for 2023 after the January 31, 2023 deadline, but you're welcome to fill out the form for 2024 project requests, which will be accepted until January 31, 2024.
Health and nutrition
Extension offers a variety of educational programs about nutrition and health that are open to families and individuals of all ages who are eligible for benefits through the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or who meet Extension’s program income guidelines.
Programs are offered in community settings such as food shelves, schools, community centers and public housing sites. The programs are free to all individuals and families who meet income guidelines, and may be offered in multiple languages, depending on the audience needs and availability of educators.
Health and nutrition events in Olmsted County
Learn more about staying healthy and eating well.
Statewide health and nutrition events
Join Extension educators and community partners in events that encourage health, wellbeing and good nutrition.
Health and nutrition news in Olmsted County
Stay up to date with our health and nutrition news.
Find information that helps families make informed decisions leading to better health and wellbeing.
Use the Real Life, Good Food website to find recipes, cooking tips and physical activity ideas for a healthier life.
Milena Nunez Garcia, SNAP-Ed educator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-328-6201
Kowsar Adam, SNAP-Ed educator
email@example.com or 507-328-6215
Extension engages Minnesotans to strengthen the social, civic, economic and technological capacity of their communities. We help create vibrant communities and enhance skills and knowledge in economics, leadership and civic engagement, and tourism.
Check our community research page for reports on county and community-focused topics relating to local economics, retaining businesses, growing retail markets, developing tourism, and more.
Local programs can be offered in collaboration with local community organizations and government agencies. Current programs include: Minnesota Agricultural and Rural Leadership (MARL)
Contact an educator in your area for consultation, guidance and conversation about your community.
Minnesota is a great place to explore, understand and conserve the natural landscape. Extension education, volunteer and community science programs encourage people to become stewards of Minnesota’s public and private lands.
Volunteer. Natural resources volunteers track invasive species, detect forest pests and count native bees, among many other activities. You can also study to become a Minnesota Master Naturalist.
Extension's Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships (RSDP) connect Greater Minnesota communities and University of Minnesota knowledge and resources to support local sustainability projects. Working in partnership, RSDP supports community-driven projects in four focus areas: agriculture and food systems, clean energy, natural resources and resilient communities. Projects are supported by boards made up of local community members and University faculty and staff. Learn more about RSDP’s recent work in your county and neighboring communities, and how to submit a project idea.
Statewide community development events
Join us at an event in your community.
Statewide natural resources events
Find opportunities to learn about the natural environment, how to care for your forest lands, and how you and your family can get out and explore nature around the state and in your own backyard.
Community development news
Find information on community-focused news.
My Minnesota Woods
Find out how to take care of your trees and enjoy Minnesota's beautiful woodlands.
Natural Resources News
From preserving our wetlands to combating invasive species, read about protecting and enjoying nature.
Learn more about community-driven sustainability projects happening across Minnesota.
Olmsted County Extension
UMN Extension, Olmstead County
1421 3rd Ave SE
Rochester, MN 55904
We are open Monday-Thursday, 9 am-4:30 pm and Friday, 9 am-1 pm.
Since we will occasionally be closed due to holidays, programming, and time off, make sure to check our calendar for the most up-to-date information.
Mika Miller, Extension Educator, 4-H Youth Development
firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-328-6180
Milena Nunez Garcia, SNAP-Ed Educator
email@example.com or 507-328-6201
Kowsar Adan, SNAP-Ed educator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-328-6215
Olmsted County Extension Master Gardener Volunteers
email@example.com or 507-328-6214
Christine Schwartz, Administrative Support Staff
firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-328-6214
Olmsted County events
View all events hosted in and near Olmsted County.
Extension courses and events
Extension provides in-person and online educational events all over Minnesota. Find one to attend.
Olmsted County news
Read all news from Olmsted County.
Extension wide news
Read the latest news from all of Extension's programs.
Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise, and training. Learn more about Extension by visiting our about page and by browsing this website.