James and Helen Sheehan started milking cows in 1945 after James returned home from serving in World War II. James and Helen moved to the current farm location with their six children, Michael, Mary, Jim, Robert, Jerome, and Ann, in 1965. As the children grew older three of them came back home to farm. Jim returned in 1971 after being in the service, Jerome returned in 1977 after college, and in 1984 Robert returned to the farm and another farm location was purchased.
At the home farm a parlor and a free-stall barn were built in 2001. Jim’s sons, Steve and Ben, returned to farm after they finished college and Jerome’s daughter, Ellen, returned to the farm after college in 2018.
The Sheehans currently milk 250 cows in a parlor and another 55 in the tie stall barn. The family raises all its replacement heifers. The Sheehans own 850 acres on which they grow corn and alfalfa. The family rents another 150 acres. All the crops are used to feed their animals.
Many of the Sheehan family members are involved in local, state and national Holstein Association organizations. They are members of St. Bridget’s Church and participate in many community organizations.