Extension Logo
Extension Logo
University of Minnesota Extension

For food processors

Becoming a licensed food processor – acidified foods

There are several steps to becoming licensed to start your acidified food processing business. Different people and organizations are involved in different steps.

What are acidified foods?

According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), an acidified food is a low acid food with added acid or acid food(s) to obtain a pH of 4.6 or below, and a water activity greater than 0.85. Typical products include sauces, salsa, pickles, and some jams and jellies.


Licensing and regulations


Page survey

© 2023 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.