Frequently asked questions about Dollar Works 2
Do you have questions about the Dollar Works 2 program? You may find the answer to your questions below. If you have additional questions or need additional information that is not provided on this site, contact us.
Dollar Works 2 is a revision of the original Dollar Works curriculum. Significant updates and additions were made with this version.
Dollar Works 2 includes four new units:
- Connecting culture and financial resources.
- Saving and investing.
- Managing risk with insurance.
- Solving consumer problems.
It also includes evaluation components, including access to the new online system.
Purchasing Dollar Works 2 would be money well spent to strengthen your financial education program.
There are three reasons:
- Participants may be confused receiving copies with random page numbers that do not relate to the task at hand. There are no extraneous page numbers on the "handouts" versions.
- The curriculum versions are off-centered to allow space for the binding. The "handouts" versions of files are centered.
- Because the curriculum versions are off-centered, some margins may be smaller than the allowable printer margin settings for your copy machine. This means that margins may get cut off. Printing or copying the "handouts" versions should alleviate this problem.
Due to the curriculum and shipping costs, we can not send out "review" copies. Portions of the curriculum can be reviewed by:
Before revising the original Dollar Works curriculum, focus groups were conducted. Specifically we met with Latino audiences to explore the financial needs of this population. Data from those focus groups and past users were used to write and design Dollar Works 2.
Here are the changes that were made:
- Participant materials were translated into Spanish (and then reviewed by a Latino staff member).
- English-sounding names were changed to Spanish-sounding names where appropriate.
- Lists of terms were designed to feature English and Spanish definitions side-by-side to accommodate bilingual individuals.
- Alternative terms were added if different words are used in different Spanish-speaking countries where necessary.
- An internet resource list for Spanish-speaking audiences was created and included in the curriculum appendix.
Anyone can benefit by the content contained in Dollar Works 2. All participant handouts are:
- Easy to use.
- Written at a 5th grade reading level where possible.
- Paired with a list of terms.
The curriculum is based on the assumption that personal financial management is a set of skills that must be learned. Even individuals who are comfortable with the United States banking system may need some targeted help in building skills related to:
- Saving and investing.
- Managing credit and debt.
- Managing risks.
Dollar Works 2 is a complete and flexible personal financial education program that trainers can use in many ways to meet the needs of their audiences.
The curriculum can be used in any order, using one or all of the units depending on the learner. Each unit is self-contained so that instructors can teach any unit in the curriculum by following the outline on the first page, beginning with the teaching goal and ending with the evaluation. That said, our research shows that you will have the greatest impact if you use more units. Read more: Dollar Works 2 impact and feedback.
Even though a training session can strengthen knowledge and increase comfort with using the curriculum, it is not necessary to attend training to be successful with the curriculum. The curriculum provides information and a variety of tools for creating a successful learning experience.
Dollar Works 2 curriculumPreview and order
Reviewed in 2018