Strive to provide simple, practical information on which foods are healthy and how to prepare them.
What you can do today
- Cooking Matters in Your Food Pantry has tips about what to stock in a food pantry and healthy recipes for families to enjoy.
- Review these free printable materials about healthy food choices and choose one or two to distribute: Choose MyPlate Printable Materials & Ordering
How Extension can help
Connect with a SNAP-Ed educator or an EFNEP coordinator to host a series of classes on healthy eating on a budget.
- Statewide: SNAP-Ed Team
- Metro only: Contact EFNEP
Find out more about promoting healthy eating at food shelves:
- Identify healthy food
- Source healthy food
- Work with local growers
- Ensure safety of healthy food
- Store Healthy Foods Properly
- Work with limited storage space
- Drive selection of healthy foods
- Find healthy recipes
- Enlist volunteers' help
- Include healthy foods in your backpack program
- Do cooking demonstrations
- Develop a healthy food policy
- Fund your healthy eating initiatives
Download the complete document: Promoting healthy eating at food shelves (PDF).
Reviewed in 2018