Building better food shelves
Food shelves, food pantries, and other emergency food programs are an important part of healthy food access. Our training, print materials, and videos are available free of charge to food shelf directors, volunteers, and others working to improve healthy food access.
Attend this workshop and access the training resources.
This SNAP-Ed-funded project aims to transform hunger relief in Minnesota to be more healthful, equitable, and reliable.
Looking to source local foods and promote healthy food access in food shelves? We have tools and strategies to help!
- Identify healthy food
- Source healthy food
- Work with local growers
- Ensure safety of healthy food
- Store Healthy Foods Properly
- Work with limited storage space
- Drive selection of healthy foods
- Provide practical information
- Find healthy recipes
- Enlist volunteers' help
- Include healthy foods in your backpack program
- Do cooking demonstrations
- Develop a healthy food policy
- Fund your healthy eating initiatives
Download the complete document: Promoting healthy eating at food shelves (PDF)
This guide was developed in 2014 by Kelly Kunkel and Sally Dover, Extension health and nutrition educators, and Health and Nutrition's support team.