What is Minnesota 4-H State Arts-In?
Minnesota 4-H State Arts-In is an 18-day intensive arts experience. Youth prepare a musical to perform three to four times daily during their time at the Minnesota State Fair. Through this experience, youth serve in leadership roles and act as representatives to 4-H building visitors.
State Arts-In is about:
- Performing arts including singing, dancing, acting, instrumental accompaniment, costume design, set construction and technical work.
- Leadership, goal-setting and teamwork.
Each participant must register for State Arts-In in 4-H Online. Here's how:
- Login to 4-H Online.
- Click on "Continue to Family".
- On the member list page, scroll to the bottom and under the event registration section, select the member to register and then select "State Arts-In 2021".
- Follow the prompts and instructions to complete registration. You can pay online or by check.
- Each participant must also complete a leadership profile.
- All first year participants must submit a recommendation form to be completed by a mentor/teacher.
Registration fee: $500 (minimum deposit of $100 due at time of registration)
$450 of your registration fee will be refunded if a cancellation is received, in writing, prior to Aug. 1. No refunds will be granted after Aug. 1.
Costume fee: $35 (for those chosen to be performers or band members)
If you are in need of financial assistance, we encourage you to seek support from your county. Scholarships are available on an as-needed basis.
State Arts-In prep week: Aug. 12-20
Everyone who participates in State Arts-In must be present this entire week.
- Check-in: Thursday, Aug. 12, 12:30-1:30 p.m. Optional parent meeting at 1 p.m.
- Start time: Thursday, Aug. 12 at 1:30 p.m. Participants stay onsite the entire prep week.
- SAI preview: Friday, Aug. 20 at 12:30 p.m. Parents, family, friends are invited for a program that includes staff/participant introductions and the first performance of our show.
- End time: Friday, Aug. 20 at 2:30 p.m.
State Arts-In at the Minnesota State Fair: Aug. 29-Sept. 6
All participants should be present for the duration of the fair. Any conflicts must be noted at the time of registering for State Arts-In and will be taken into consideration when assigning majors.
- Check-in: Sunday, Aug. 29, Time TBD. Participants stay onsite for the duration.
- End time: Monday, Sept. 6 at 1:30 p.m.
Location and transportation
State Arts-In is held at the 4-H Building on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, located at Snelling and Commonwealth Ave. in St. Paul. Lodging and meals will be on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
Participants are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.