What is Minnesota 4-H State Arts-In?
Minnesota 4-H State Arts-In is a 22-day intensive experience at the Minnesota State Fair for youth who have completed grades 9+ that provides the opportunity to explore new skills, advance existing skills and learn to work toward one common goal.
The 2022 State Arts-In experience includes:
- A deeper dive into one of 4 areas: technical theater, band, performing or costuming.
- Experience learning from experts in the theater arts.
- A better understanding of self along with learning about leadership, teamwork and goal-setting.
- Providing leadership and support to other 4-H events during the Minnesota State Fair, including Harkenss and Erickson stage events, the daily parade and more.
Each participant must register via 4-H online and by completing a Leadership Profile. Here's how:
Click on "Continue to Family."
On the member list page, scroll to the bottom and under the event registration section, select the member to register and then select "2022 Minnesota 4-H State Arts-In."
Follow the prompts and instructions to complete registration. You can pay online or by check.
Each participant must also complete a leadership profile before their registration is considered complete.
All first year participants must submit a recommendation form to be completed by a mentor/teacher.
Registration fee: $550
(A minimum deposit of $100 is due at time of registration)
$500 of your registration fee will be refunded if a cancellation is received, in writing, prior to Aug. 1. No refunds will be granted after Aug. 1.
Costume fee: $35 (for those chosen to be performers or band members)
If you are in need of financial assistance, we encourage you to seek support from your county. Scholarships from State Arts-In are available on an as-needed basis. Please contact Kim Thompson for more information.
State Arts-In prep week: Aug. 11-18
Everyone who participates in State Arts-In must be present this entire week.
- Check-in: Thursday, Aug. 11, 12:30-1:15 p.m. Optional parent meeting at 1 p.m.
- Start time: Thursday, Aug. 11 at 1:30 p.m. Participants stay onsite the entire prep week.
- SAI preview: Thursday, Aug. 18 at 12:30 p.m. Parents, family and friends are invited for a program that includes staff/participant introductions and the first performance of our show.
- End time: Thursday, Aug. 18 at 2:30 p.m.
State Arts-In at the Minnesota State Fair: Aug. 23-Sept. 5
All participants must be present for the duration of the fair. No conflicts will be accepted for August 23-24. Any conflicts for August 25 - September 5 must be noted at the time of registering for State Arts-In, may be school or 4-H related only, and will be taken into consideration when assigning majors.
- Check-in: Tuesday, August 23, 12:30-1:15 p.m.
- Start time: Tuesday, August 23, 1:30 p.m.
- End time: Monday, Sept. 5 at 1:30 p.m.
Location and transportation
State Arts-In is held at the 4-H Building on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, located at Snelling and Commonwealth Ave. in St. Paul. Lodging and meals will be on the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
Participants are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.