Discover acting techniques, improvisation, costume and set design, makeup techniques, stage lighting, and more!
What can you do?
In the performing arts project, you can:
- Develop and present stories through acting, mime, movement, puppetry and technical theater.
- Write a musical, sing or play an instrument.
- Keep a journal or scrapbook (with written comments) of your experiences with performing arts.
These are just some of the many ways you can participate in this project.
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
- Contact your local 4-H office for more info.
Get started on your own
- Begin your project learning with the performance-based performing arts project resource guide or the non-performance-based performing arts project resource guide.
- Reflect on your project and what you've learned using 4-H record keeping.
4-H'ers from across Minnesota prepare and perform a play, dance, musical, or other act.
An eight-day, intensive arts experience in which 4-H'ers create an original musical play. They then perform it several times each day of the Minnesota State Fair.
Project opportunities near you
Get in touch with your local 4-H office to learn about performing arts project events and activities in your area.
What does it mean to show at the fair?
For 4-H'ers, local and state showcase events (like the Minnesota State Fair) are not just fun events. They provide youth opportunities to exhibit the knowledge and skills they've gained throughout the year– and to continue their learning.
Contact your local 4-H office for performing arts project showcase opportunities near you.
Exhibit ideas and judging criteria
Get exhibit ideas and find out what the judge is looking for in the evaluation sheet.
Reviewed in 2023