Citizenship Washington Focus (CWF) is a 4-H leadership program for high school youth. Every summer teens from across the country gather at the National 4-H Conference Center, near Washington, D.C., to learn what it means to be a strong leader in their community, country, and world. These objectives are met through pre-trip education, speakers, workshops, daily excursions to view National sites, day at the Capitol with elected officials, and a delegate designed and implemented action plan.
This experience is open to youth who are at least 15, not older than 19 years of age, and finished with their first year of high school at the time of travel (late June). Participants must be enrolled in Minnesota 4-H. Approximately 45 teens from Minnesota will attend. This trip is first come, first serve, and spaces usually fill quickly, however, if a trip does not receive enough participants, it will be canceled.
Minnesota 4-H will attend CWF June 19-24, 2022, not including travel dates. Additional information about this year’s experience is available in the dropdowns below.
Learn more and register
- Who: Youth must be at least 15 years of age and complete their first year of high school by the time of travel (late June).
- What: Three pre-departure virtual Zoom meetings will begin in March 2022. Meeting content will facilitate relationship-building with other youth delegates and adult chaperones as well as prepare youth for the in-person experience. While on the trip, participants will attend the CWF conference, which includes educational sessions about making a difference in your community, conversations with decision-makers, and discussions on current events. Participants will also meet youth from other states and travel to several key landmarks in our nation’s capital. The tentative schedule for this experience is available here.
- Where: Virtual Zoom meetings and Washington, DC, area trip
- When: Virtual meetings start in March and occur monthly, trip dates June 19-24, 2022 (possible 1 day of travel on both ends)
- Currently this trip is estimated at $2500-2800. The final cost is planned to be set by late January 2022 as trip plans are solidified.
- Many local 4-H programs provide financial support for these experiences. Contact your local 4-H office to inquire about funding and fundraising opportunities.
Review the CWF Minnesota Delegate Handbook (updates will be made as available)
Register through your 4HOnline account— registration details here — this experience fills on first come, first serve, and will then have a waiting list
Not yet in 4-H? Join here!
Pay the $500 deposit
Start fundraising for other trip payments
For adults interested in chaperoning
Chaperone spaces will be available based on the number of youth who register. Applications will open in January. Chaperones have a portion of their attendance fee covered, but are expected to secure a financial contribution equal to about ⅓ of the program fee for youth. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.