All in-person Extension meetings, events and classes are canceled through Friday, May 15.
Poultry care and management
Caring for poultry
- Birds are subject to heat stress when the air temperature and humidity uncontrollably increase their core body temperature.
- Heat stress can result in panting, increased water intake and eventually death.
- Access to cool, fresh water, ventilation, and adjusted feed schedules can help provide relief to birds.
- Control rodents, insects and wild birds on your farm.
Properly wash and store eggs to prevent salmonella contamination.
Have a strong and strict biosecurity program for your farm.
- A guide from Minnesota Institute for Sustainable Agriculture for those interested in commercially raising, processing and marketing poultry.
- It is designed to help you consider alternatives and make decisions that will be most compatible with your goals.
- Farms increasingly use both family and outside labor to complete agricultural work.
- Federal and state laws generally apply to farmers, but both include certain exemptions for farm operations
- Contracts are an increasingly important aspect of agricultural production and marketing.
- Such contracts may take the form of leases, contracts for deed, production contracts or marketing contracts.
- Learn about the advantages, regulations and associated risks.