Welcome to Wilkin County
Wilkin County partners with Extension to deliver even more practical education and research right in your county.
4-H by the numbers
- Wilkin County 4-H served 278 youth and 54 adult volunteers in 2019-2020.
- Those youth attended more than 27 different programs, and are from 10 local clubs.
- Many of our clubs and programs meet multiple times throughout the year.
- This year we reached 18% of the local youth population. However, we also reached youth who are not from our area.
- We were able to reach youth from Pennsylvania, Arizona & many other states through virtual programming.
The Weekly Wilkin
Give to Wilkin County 4-H
Gifts support 4-H youth development in Wilkin County, and local programming coordinated by the Wilkin County 4-H Council.
4-H Youth Development is a hands-on learning program for Minnesota youth. We offer online, small group and independent learning experiences for youth of all ages. In 4-H, youth choose the topic they find interesting and caring adults support their learning and leadership. From agronomy to space exploration and creative arts to outdoor adventures, 4-H has just the right learning experience for young people.
There are many ways to participate in 4-H!
Wilkin County 4-H Clubs
- Cloverbud Afterschool Clubs (Grades K-2)
- Campbell Busy Bees in Campbell, MN (Grades K-13)
- Deep Valley in Breckenridge, MN (Grades K-13)
- Kent Quad-H in Kent, MN (Grades K-13)
- North Stars in Breckenridge, MN (Grades K-13)
Project focused clubs
- Hoof Beats in Wolverton, MN (Grades K-13)
- Members of Hoof Beats share an interest in the horse, and horseless horse projects.
- Minn-Dak Interstate Exchange in Breckenridge, MN (Grades 6-13)
- Members of Interstate Exchange share an interest in travel.
- The club participates in an exchange trip every four years.
- They will host an exchange club from PA in 2021, and travel to PA in 2022.
Ways to Volunteer
- Become a Volunteer
- One-time volunteering, such as helping out at a 4-H event
- Lead or Chaperone a club, event, or on a trip
- Teach a topic or skill you have knowledge about at one of the club meetings
To find out about volunteer needs in Wilkin County, please contact the Wilkin County Extension Office at 218-643-5481 or email@example.com
Wilkin County 4-H Achievement Days is currently scheduled for August 19th-22nd, 2021. Due to Covid-19, we are unsure what fair or showcase opportunities will look like, but Wilkin County 4-H is dedicated to providing opportunities for our youth to showcase project learning! Please check back for updates.
2021 Premium Book will be available after May 17th, 2021.
Agriculture conferences, in-person events and online courses are offered all year around the state.
Statewide news and blogs
- Agricultural Business Management News - Business and financial resources for farmers.
- Beef News - Beef industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Dairy News - Dairy industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Fruit and Vegetable News - Local production and marketing of fruit and vegetable crops in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Crop News - Emerging issues affecting Minnesota row crops and forages.
Find out about the Master Gardener Volunteer core course or attend other events offered throughout the year.
- Yard and Garden News - Gardening tips and emerging issues affecting Minnesota.
- My Minnesota Woods - Find out how to take care of your trees and enjoy Minnesota's beautiful woodlands.
- Natural Resources News - From preserving our wetlands to combating invasive species, read about protecting and enjoying nature.
Health and nutrition
Extension offers a variety of educational programs about nutrition and health in Wilkin County. These programs are open to families and individuals of all ages who are eligible for benefits through the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or who meet Extension’s program income guidelines.
Programs are offered in community settings such as food shelves, schools, community centers and public housing sites. The programs are free to all individuals and families who meet income guidelines, and may be offered in multiple languages, depending on the audience needs and availability of educators.
Wilkin County Extension
U of M Extension, Wilkin County
505 S 8th St
Breckenridge, MN 56520
Monday - Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
In accordance with the University of Minnesota's COVID-19 policy, Wilkin County Extension Staff are currently working remotely and in the office on Wednesdays from 8 a.m. -4:30 p.m.
Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise and training. Learn more about Extension by visiting our about page and by browsing this website.