Welcome to Wilkin County
Wilkin County partners with Extension to deliver even more practical education and research right in your county.
4-H by the numbers
- Wilkin County 4-H served 278 youth and 54 adult volunteers in 2019-2020.
- Those youth attended more than 27 different programs, and are from 10 local clubs.
- Many of our clubs and programs meet multiple times throughout the year.
- This year we reached 18% of the local youth population. However, we also reached youth who are not from our area.
- We were able to reach youth from Pennsylvania, Arizona & many other states through virtual programming.
Give to Wilkin County 4-H
Gifts support 4-H youth development in Wilkin County, and local programming coordinated by the Wilkin County 4-H Council.
4-H Youth Development is a hands-on learning program for Minnesota youth. We offer online, small group and independent learning experiences for youth of all ages. In 4-H, youth choose the topic they find interesting and caring adults support their learning and leadership. From agronomy to space exploration and creative arts to outdoor adventures, 4-H has just the right learning experience for young people.
There are many ways to participate in 4-H!
Wilkin County 4-H Clubs
- Cloverbud Afterschool Clubs (Grades K-2)
- Campbell Busy Bees in Campbell, MN (Grades K-13)
- Deep Valley in Breckenridge, MN (Grades K-13)
- Kent Quad-H in Kent, MN (Grades K-13)
- North Stars in Breckenridge, MN (Grades K-13)
Project focused clubs
- Minn-Dak Interstate Exchange in Breckenridge, MN (Grades 6-13)
- Members of Interstate Exchange share an interest in travel.
- The club participates in an exchange trip every four years.
- They will host an exchange club from PA in 2021, and travel to PA in 2022.
Ways to Volunteer
- Become a Volunteer
- One-time volunteering, such as helping out at a 4-H event
- Lead or Chaperone a club, event, or on a trip
- Teach a topic or skill you have knowledge about at one of the club meetings
To find out about volunteer needs in Wilkin County, please contact the Wilkin County Extension Office at 218-643-5481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Already enrolled in Wilkin County 4-H, members are highly encouraged to download the Minnesota 4-H app. Downloading the app is easy, go into your App Store or Google Play and search for Minnesota 4-H and download the app. Once you have the app downloaded, choose Wilkin County and you will be connected with all the current information, guides, programs, events, schedules, social media, and more!
Here are some other helpful ways to keep up to date with Wilkin County 4-H.
Follow us on Social Media
What's Happening in Wilkin County 4-H
Our favorite season is fair season
We are so excited that you are a part of Wilkin County 4-H
Wilkin County 4-H Achievement Days is scheduled for August 18-21, 2022 during the Wilkin County Fair.
The Wilkin County Fair is coming! Now is the time to start thinking about what projects your child plans to explore. This Premium Book outlines all the rules & regulations for any exhibits your child will bring to the fair, how to register for the fair, and some FAQs.
Share your talents with us!
Explore the many project areas (i.e. departments) & find the exhibit division that resonates with you! The county fair offers youth an opportunity to showcase what they have learned and worked hard on throughout the year! This evaluation of your exhibits is unique to 4-H and also creates a pathway for youth to bring their best exhibits to the Minnesota State Fair; later this summer! We can’t wait to see what you will choose to bring to the fair! Now is the time to start planning your showcase experience!
The 18th annual Parade of Champions
Our closing ceremony of the 2022 4-H Achievement Days! This grandstand event serves as our recognition and celebration of all the project work and accomplishments of our youth members! Please invite your family and friends to join us, the more visitors we have in the stands the more pride they will feel in their accomplishments. Wilkin County 4-H receives sponsorships from area businesses to help provide youth with cash awards for EACH exhibit entry they make in the county fair!
Feeling overwhelmed or not sure where to start?
Done registering for the fair, now what?
The Exhibitor Newsletter covers all the information you will need to know for the upcoming fair!
Questions? The Wilkin County Extension staff are here for YOU! Please, reach out with any and all questions that you have 218-643-5481 or email@example.com. The more you ask, the more you know! We are committed to helping your family have a fun & successful 4-H experience.
See you at the Fair!
Monique & Jen
Agriculture conferences, in-person events and online courses are offered all year around the state.
Statewide news and blogs
- Agricultural Business Management News - Business and financial resources for farmers.
- Beef News - Beef industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Dairy News - Dairy industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Fruit and Vegetable News - Local production and marketing of fruit and vegetable crops in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Crop News - Emerging issues affecting Minnesota row crops and forages.
Wilkin County Extension does not have an Agriculture Program locally. Have questions? We have the answers, the resources, and the referrals.
Visit our online resources:
Contact the Farm Information Line for all your agriculture needs:
Farm Information Line: 1-800-232-9077
Find out about the Master Gardener Volunteer core course or attend other events offered throughout the year.
- Yard and Garden News - Gardening tips and emerging issues affecting Minnesota.
- My Minnesota Woods - Find out how to take care of your trees and enjoy Minnesota's beautiful woodlands.
- Natural Resources News - From preserving our wetlands to combating invasive species, read about protecting and enjoying nature.
Wilkin County Extension does not have a Master Gardener Program locally. Find plants, ask an expert, and diagnose a problem through our online gardening resources.
Contact a Master Gardener for all your gardening questions:
Yard & Garden Line: 612-301-7590
Health and nutrition
Extension offers a variety of educational programs about nutrition and health in Wilkin County. These programs are open to families and individuals of all ages who are eligible for benefits through the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or who meet Extension’s program income guidelines.
Programs are offered in community settings such as food shelves, schools, community centers and public housing sites. The programs are free to all individuals and families who meet income guidelines, and may be offered in multiple languages, depending on the audience needs and availability of educators.
Extension's Center for Community Vitality engages Minnesotans to strengthen the social, civic, economic and technological capacity of their communities. We help create vibrant communities and enhance skills and knowledge in economics, leadership and civic engagement, and tourism.
Check our community research page for reports on county and community-focused topics relating to local economics, retaining businesses, growing retail markets, developing tourism, and more.
Local programs can be offered in collaboration with local community organizations and government agencies. Current programs include:
- Minnesota Agricultural and Rural Leadership (MARL)
- Red River Valley Emerging Leadership Program (ELP)
Contact an educator in your area for consultation, guidance and conversation about your community.
Minnesota is a great place to explore, understand and conserve the natural landscape. Extension education, volunteer and community science programs encourage people to become stewards of Minnesota’s public and private lands.
Extension's Regional Sustainable Development Partnerships (RSDP) connect Greater Minnesota communities and University of Minnesota knowledge and resources to support local sustainability projects.
Working in partnership, RSDP supports community-driven projects in four focus areas: agriculture and food systems, clean energy, natural resources, and resilient communities. Projects are supported by boards made up of local community members and University faculty and staff.
Learn more about RSDP’s recent work in your county and neighboring communities, and how to submit a project idea.
Join us at an event in your community.
Find opportunities to learn about the natural environment, how to care for your forest lands, and how you and your family can get out and explore nature around the state and in your own backyard.
Find information on community-focused news.
Find out how to take care of your trees and enjoy Minnesota's beautiful woodlands.
From preserving our wetlands to combating invasive species, read about protecting and enjoying nature.
Learn more about community-driven sustainability projects happening across Minnesota.
Wilkin County Extension
Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise and training. Learn more about Extension by visiting our about page and by browsing this website.