Welcome to Benton County
Benton County partners with Extension to deliver practical education and research you can use at home, at work and in your community.
Please contact us for all of your 4-H, agriculture or gardening related questions.
4-H Youth Development is a hands-on learning program for Minnesota youth. We offer online, small group and independent learning experiences for youth of all ages. In 4-H, youth choose the topic they find interesting and caring adults support their learning and leadership. From agronomy to space exploration and creative arts to outdoor adventures, 4-H has just the right learning experience for young people.
There are many ways to participate in 4-H!
The 2021 Benton County Fair is scheduled for August 3-8 at the Benton County Fairgrounds in Sauk Rapids.
Due to Covid-19, we are unsure what fair or showcase opportunities will look like in 2021, but Benton County 4-H is dedicated to providing opportunities for our youth to showcase their project learning! Continue to check back for updates.
- May 25: Registration opens and 2021 premium book is released
- July 12: Registration deadline
- August 2: Benton County 4-H entry day (tentative)
- August 3-8: Benton County Fair
4-H registration for the Benton County Fair will open on Monday, May 25. The deadline to register your 4-H projects for 2021 is July 12.
The 2021 4-H Premium Book will be available on Monday, May 17.
Benton County's agriculture includes both crop and livestock production. Corn and soybeans are the primary crops grown. Benton County is home to many fruit and vegetable growers and small farms.
Find the latest on Extension agricultural research and news you can use on your farm from local experts.
Statewide news and blogs
- Agricultural Business Management News - Business and financial resources for farmers.
- Beef News - Beef industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Dairy News - Dairy industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Fruit and Vegetable News - Local production and marketing of fruit and vegetable crops in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Crop News - Emerging issues affecting Minnesota row crops and forages.
Nathaniel Drewitz, Extension Educator, Agriculture Production Systems
Brenda Postels, Extension Educator, Ag Production Systems - Livestock
Katie Drewitz, Extension Educator - Horticulture, Small Farms & Local Foods
firstname.lastname@example.org, 320-255-6169 ext. 1
Master Gardener volunteers educate the public about a variety of horticulture subjects using current research-based resources. This educational effort is designed to enhance quality of life and promote good stewardship of the environment.
Master Gardener volunteers complete many hours of volunteer work each year, providing a valuable in-kind contribution to Minnesota.
Find the latest gardening tips and news you can use in your own back yard from local experts.
- Yard and Garden News - Gardening tips and emerging issues affecting Minnesota.
- My Minnesota Woods - Find out how to take care of your trees and enjoy Minnesota's beautiful woodlands.
- Natural Resources News - From preserving our wetlands to combating invasive species, read about protecting and enjoying nature.
Health and nutrition
Extension offers a variety of educational programs about nutrition and health that are open to families and individuals of all ages who are eligible for benefits through the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or who meet Extension’s program income guidelines.
Programs are offered in community settings such as food shelves, schools, community centers and public housing sites. The programs are free to all individuals and families who meet income guidelines, and may be offered in multiple languages, depending on the audience needs and availability of educators.
Benton County Extension
Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise and training. Learn more about Extension by visiting our about page and by browsing this website.