Extension Logo
Extension Logo
University of Minnesota Extension

Building credit without a Social Security number

English | español

Building credit without a Social Security number can be difficult, but it isn't impossible. Credit card issuers can't require you to provide a Social Security number.

Instead, issuers may ask for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). An ITIN is a nine-digit identifier that acts like a Social Security number. For information on how to apply for an ITIN, visit General ITIN information on the IRS website.

Unfortunately, not all credit card companies allow the use of an ITIN to apply for a credit card. This means you will need to do some research to learn which companies allow you to use your ITIN.

Credit card issuers that accept ITIN numbers may still deny your application if you don't have a credit history. As a first step, apply for a regular credit card with your ITIN even if you lack a credit history. If you are denied, then apply for a secured credit card to establish that history.

It is easier to qualify for a secured credit card than for a regular card because you put down a cash deposit as collateral. This reduces risk for the card company because they can collect money from your initial deposit if you don't pay your bill on time. The credit limit on secured cards usually equals the amount of your deposit.

To keep your secured card (and credit!) in good standing, always pay your balance off on time and in full. Once you have a good payment record on your secured credit card, you may qualify for a regular, unsecured credit card.

Sarah Butler, Extension educator in financial empowerment

Reviewed by Sharon Powell and Sam Roth, Extension educators

Reviewed in 2023

Page survey

© 2023 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.