Nine out of 10 prior participants said they would recommend this course to others.
“No matter where you are at with your planning, this course will either affirm you are headed in the right direction with the best ‘pit stops’ to make along the way. Or, help steer you from the ‘waste of time’ road, altogether.” — spring 2022 participant
Prepare your business for what's next
Whether your exit is three years or three decades away, every business owner needs an exit strategy. Don’t let one of the “five D’s” — death, divorce, disability, disease, and disagreement — knock your business off course.
Extension's five-week online course, offered in partnership with VisionOne High Performance Group, will guide you through a business succession planning process to learn, leverage and plan for your transition. When it's time to hand over the keys, you and the future leaders of the business will be ready.
During the online course, you will:
- Build your knowledge and the ability to create your business succession strategy.
- Learn with other business owners.
- Learn about the different options available to transition your business (third party, employee ownership, family, etc.).
- Become equipped to prepare your comprehensive succession and transition plan.
We understand it can be hard for a community when they learn a business may be closing, and rumors may circulate. The course is designed to be discreet and confidential to allow you to feel open discussing your business's future. If you desire outside professional assistance, this course will help you find it.
The course will be online via live (e.g., synchronous) weekly sessions on Zoom, as well as include materials and activities that are accessed online and done on your own time (asynchronous). We also share some helpful resources for transitioning a business.
For more (optional) one-to-one help, you may contract with our partner entity, VisionOne High Performance Group, for consultation services.
- Business owners and their key employees, family members, or the intended successor owner/operator of the business.
Note for business brokers, business advisers, economic developers, and related audiences: Extension provides other business succession and transition learning opportunities.
- $500 — one business may register up to five people to participate
Meet your instructors
- Michael Darger (Extension)
- Lori Moen (VisionOne High Performance Group)
“I think a lot of people and businesses would benefit from this course. The time it takes to sit in the online classes and the homework is small compared to the amount of time and effort that will be needed to actually properly implement a successful transition.” — spring 2020 participant