What we do
Creating a stronger Minnesota through education and research
University of Minnesota Extension discovers science-based solutions, delivers practical education and engages Minnesotans to build a better future.
Discovering solutions to today's problems
Today's most pressing issues cross state and world boundaries, requiring strong partnerships, focused investments and diverse perspectives from multiple disciplines.
Extension researchers and educators engage individuals and organizations in asking the challenging questions to discover science-based answers that make a difference.
Together, we create a better world for today and tomorrow by discovering solutions for challenges facing Minnesota, including:
- Cleaner, safer water supply
- Pollinator health
- Invasive species: aquatic and terrestrial
- Farm productivity and efficiency
- Science literacy for youth
- Safe, healthy and affordable food
- Climate change adaptation
- Rural and community leadership
- Global networking
- Childhood obesity
University of Minnesota Extension Mission:
Making a difference by connecting community needs and University resources to address critical issues in Minnesota.
Connecting every county with the University of Minnesota
Extension makes University research and knowledge available to Minnesota.
Over 65% of Extension's 800 researchers, educators and staff live and work in greater Minnesota, located at:
- Regional Extension offices
- Extension county offices
- University research and outreach centers
- University campuses
Engaging Minnesotans to make a difference
65% of 800
staff work in Greater MN
participants in programs
community board members
Partnerships create positive impact
Federal investments, including those from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, fund multi-state research and education.
State investments are leveraged through collaborations with Minnesota state departments including agriculture, natural resources, health, human services, pollution control and tourism.
County investments ensure that 4-H and other programs are delivered locally.
Hundreds of organizations and agencies expand the reach, delivering education created by Extension across Minnesota, the nation and the world.
University of Minnesota Extension faculty
- College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences
- College of Veterinary Medicine
- College of Education and Human Develpment
- Humphrey School of Public Affairs
- College of Design
- University of Minnesota—Crookston and Morris