Grow your own flowers! Explore annuals, biennials and perennials. Learn about soils, watering, fertilizer, propagation, houseplants and more in this 4-H project.
What can you do?
In the horticulture project, you can:
- Identify different types of gardens.
- Grow and maintain a garden.
- Plant seeds.
- Learn pest management techniques.
- Examine parts of a plant and discover the functions of those parts.
- Learn to identify and use common garden tools.
These are just some of the many ways you can participate in this project.
Ways to get more involved
- Adopt a flower bed at a park.
- Make a compost bed for a community garden.
- Help an elderly or disabled person by planting flowers in their yard.
- Organize a flower/vegetable sale to raise money for a special cause or for your 4-H club.
Project opportunities near you
Get in touch with your local 4-H office to learn about horticulture project events and activities in your area.
Showing at the fair
What does it mean to show at the fair?
For 4-H'ers, local and state showcase events (like the Minnesota State Fair) are not just fun events. They provide youth opportunities to exhibit the knowledge and skills they've gained throughout the year– and to continue their learning.
Contact your local 4-H office for horticulture project showcase opportunities near you.
Exhibit ideas and judging criteria
Get exhibit ideas and find out what the judge is looking for in the evaluation sheets: