Grow your own food! You might choose to grow the very useful potato or your favorite fruit or vegetable.
What can you do?
In the vegetable, fruit and herb gardening project, you can:
- Learn how to plant, water, fertilize and prune your plant.
- Explore how to manage weeds, insects and diseases.
- Discover which species grow in Minnesota's climate and design a plan for growing.
- Plant your own garden.
These are just some of the many ways you can participate in this project.
Ways to get more involved
- Learning is more fun together! You could start a Junior Master Gardeners program in your area.
- Join a local community garden and participate as a board member.
- Hybridize a vegetable or fruit plant in your garden.
Project opportunities near you
- Get in touch with your local 4-H office to learn about vegetable, fruit and herb gardening project events and activities in your area.
What does it mean to show at the fair?
For 4-H'ers, local and state showcase events (like the Minnesota State Fair) are not just fun events. They provide youth opportunities to exhibit the knowledge and skills they've gained throughout the year– and to continue their learning.
Contact your local 4-H office for vegetables, fruit and herbs project showcase opportunities near you.
Exhibit ideas and judging criteria
Get exhibit ideas and find out what the judge is looking for in the evaluation sheets:
Reviewed in 2021