Winter Round Up is an exciting three-day, two-night conference of adult and youth leadership and 4-H horse project learning. It's for youth in sixth grade or older who are interested in horses. Parents and adult 4-H volunteers are also welcome.
Winter Round Up includes speakers, educational workshops and many hands-on activities.
In addition to gaining useful information and participating in activities, there are opportunities to share information, network with other horse project leaders and youth, make new friends and have fun! This conference is geared towards 4-H'ers in sixth grade and above, as well as adult horse project leaders.
Save the date: 2024 Winter Round Up
The 2024 Winter Round Up will be held Jan. 18-21, 2024, at the Young Life Castaway Club in Detroit Lakes.
The 2023 Winter Round Up included:
- Daily youth leadership tips
- Sessions specialized for adult volunteers
- Southeast Minnesota location
- Outdoor team-building adventures
The 2023 keynote speakers:
- Matthew Saterbak - Equine entrepreneur whose roots are in 4-H
How did 4-H help Matthew Saterbak become a successful judge? How did it aid him in creating Equiscribe, a comprehensive horse show pattern-scoring app? Equiscribe changed the horse show industry by enforcing a measurable and objective approach to judging. Come and be inspired by all things 4-H, equine and entrepreneurial.
- Jennifer Skuza, associate dean and state 4-H director
- Katie Lindahl, barrel horse breeder - From futurities to rodeo: What is it all about?
NFR qualifying horse owner Katie Lindahl will inspire an interest in Rauschenberg young horses, discuss life after futurities and share aspects of rodeo. Katie will close out the conference by encouraging you to think beyond 4-H.
- Ranch Pleasure
- Equine entrepreneurship
- Horse project area activities (horse judging, hippology, project bowl, training, drill team, speech & demo, etc.)
- Youth leadership (Dan Patch, how to let youth lead, building leadership skills, etc.)
- Brainstorming solutions to challenges within Minnesota 4-H Horse
- Watch Amberley Snyder inspire young horse lovers to be confident and persevere through adversity. Amberley's message goes beyond horses to inspire youth to become the best they can be.
- Watch Annise Montplaisir to learn about what happens behind the scenes in the horse racing industry and what it's like to be a part of this type of horse occupation.
- Watch this video to learn about the relationship between what you eat and how you move as it relates to performance (on a horse)! Practice specific movements to support the physical skills of riding.
- Learn about horse confirmation and horse judging from a judge's perspective in this video. Become knowledgeable in judging a horse as well as identifying the best characteristics of a horse.
- Watch Sara Madsen to learn about saddle fitting. A Bit of Tack will help you to ensure the proper fit of your saddle on your horse to maximize your performance.
- This video will help youth in the 4-H Horse Project understand the application process for the Dan Patch and Youth Leadership Awards.
- Learn about Hippology and the Minnesota 4-H Hippology contest. Experience each phase of a hippology contest and prepare yourself to participate.
Amy DeGroot, firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about fees or deadlines
Renee Kostick, email@example.com for program information