Extension Logo
Extension Logo
University of Minnesota Extension

4-H clover 4-H animal ID

If you join a 4-H animal science project, you will need to follow some rules to ensure health, safety and fairness. One of them is identifying your animal, or animal ID. This is our system for tracking each unique animal. You will enter your animal ID information into 4HOnline, our membership database. 

There are two sets of requirements. You need to complete both: 

  1. Requirements for all animals
  2. Requirements for your species

1. Requirements for all animals

2019 animal science show requirements

See all details by species and class.  You must follow all of these requirements, whether you own or lease your animal. 

See what's new in 2019: 2019 updates

County ID letter

Once enrolled in your project, you will receive a letter from your local Extension office. County ID letters contain critically important information specific to your county, such as deadlines and locations. You can also find this letter posted on your local 4-H website. If you don't receive a county ID letter for your species, contact your local Extension staff.

Leased animals and animal ID

Breeding animals may be owned or leased. Market animals may not. All owned and leased animals must be ID'd in 4HOnline. Read full details about animal ID and leasing.

2. Requirements for your species



    Sharon Davis, Extension educator and animal science director



    Reviewed in 2019

    Share this page:

    © 2019 Regents of the University of Minnesota. All rights reserved. The University of Minnesota is an equal opportunity educator and employer.