The curriculum is now available for $50
Do you want to help others learn what it takes to be a successful renter? If so, then the RentWise curriculum is for you.
About the curriculum
RentWise is a comprehensive curriculum that provides education and skills on renting. You can use the curriculum in one-on-one or group settings.
It is recommended that participants receive at least six hours of RentWise education, however, the curriculum is flexible to adapt to audience needs and the timeframe available.
RentWise is a useful teaching tool for:
- Individuals who have low income.
- Individuals who need to build credit and rental histories.
- Individuals who are new to the country.
- Individuals who are new to rental living or independent living.
This curriculum takes an active-learning approach and stresses renter responsibility. Participants who complete the complete six-hour education will:
- Gather information to compare rental housing.
- Identify changing needs and wants in rental housing.
- Practice financial tasks related to housing.
- Recognize the components of a lease agreement.
- Practice positive communication skills.
- Identify methods to keep rental housing clean and safe.
- Explain proper procedures to end tenancy and avoid eviction.
The curriculum is web-based and costs $50.
What is in the curriculum?
The RentWise curriculum has three units:
- Acquire your rental housing
- Sustaining your home environment and relationships
- Aspiring: your future housing
All resources are web-based. The RentWise Facilitator Website is a “one-stop shop” with all resources you need to teach the program. Resources include the:
- RentWise Facilitator’s Manual — See a RentWise Facilitator's Manual sample (PDF)
- RentWise Renter's Workbook — See a RentWise Renter's Workbook sample (PDF)
- Instructions for assembling the RentWise Folder for participants
- Handouts — See a RentWise handout sample (PDF)
- Supplemental materials
You also get access to the RentWise reporting system. Use this system to enter data and get customized certificates of completion.
Reviewed in 2023