Summer weather impacts
Guidance on how to manage damage from strong winds and hail when tassels are just starting to become visible or when corn has partially or completely been pollinated.
How to assess crop damage and potential yield loss after hail.
Digital Crop Doc
The UMN Extension crops team is launching a new program to help you with disease diagnosis in several crops:
- Small grains
Visit Digital Crop Doc, tell us more about your field situation and submit photos. After you submit the form and photos, one of our team members will contact you with a diagnosis, a request for more information or a suggestion to submit the samples to a plant disease clinic.
Soybean gall midge
Soybean gall midge is a new pest of Minnesota soybean. It was first identified in Rock County in August, 2018 and since then has been found in several counties in southwestern Minnesota. Learn about:
- Life cycle
- Impacts on soybean
- Scouting and management
- Why it's a threat.
- Identifying Palmer amaranth.
- How to handle infestations.
- How it spreads.
Insecticide rotations are an important part of insecticide resistance management for pyrethroid-resistant soybean aphid. Learn about suggested rotation options when the treatment threshold has been reached:
- Suggested insecticide groups for the 1st foliar application depending on whether or not a seed treatment was applied.
- Re-treatment suggestions based on 1st foliar application and seed treatment.
- In depth information on eight herbicide families
- Injury photos for individual herbicides within each of the families
- How to set up your experiment.
- How to interpret your results.
- Tips for successful on-farm research.
Reviewed in 2020