Nitrogen Smart is an educational program for producers that presents fundamentals for maximizing economic return on nitrogen investments while minimizing nitrogen losses.
The morning Nitrogen Smart: Fundamentals session delivers high-quality, research-based education so producers can learn:
- Sources of nitrogen (N) for crops
- How nitrogen is lost from soil and how you can reduce losses
- How to manage nitrogen in drainage systems
- What the Nutrient Reduction Strategy and Nitrogen Fertilizer Management Plan mean for Minnesota producers
- Practices to refine nitrogen management, including split applications, alternative N fertilizers, soil and tissue testing and N models
Nitrogen Smart certification is valid for three years after participants complete the Fundamentals course. The Advanced Nitrogen Smart session is available to returning participants or to new participants that attend the morning Fundamentals course.
Attend the 2021 webinar series
The Nitrogen Smart trainings are presented as a webinar series by University of Minnesota Extension, funded by Minnesota Corn Growers, and supported by the Minnesota Agriculture Water Resource Center. Pre-registration is required, but there is no cost to attend.
The Fundamentals session is broken into two parts which will be offered on Monday afternoon, February 22nd, and Tuesday morning, February 23rd. Attendees will want to participate in both sessions to view the entire program.
The Advanced Nitrogen Smart curriculum, A Deep Dive Into the 4Rs, will be broken into three parts and offered over the first three weeks of March. Sessions will be on Monday afternoon and repeated Tuesday morning. Attendees can choose either or both times to fit their schedules.