Nitrogen Smart is an educational program for producers that presents fundamentals for maximizing economic return on nitrogen investments while minimizing nitrogen losses.
The morning Nitrogen Smart: Fundamentals session delivers high-quality, research-based education so producers can learn:
- Sources of nitrogen (N) for crops
- How nitrogen is lost from soil and how you can reduce losses
- How to manage nitrogen in drainage systems
- What the Nutrient Reduction Strategy and Nitrogen Fertilizer Management Plan mean for Minnesota producers
- Practices to refine nitrogen management, including split applications, alternative N fertilizers, soil and tissue testing and N models
Nitrogen Smart certification is valid for three years after participants complete the Fundamentals course.
Advanced Nitrogen Smart
Advanced Nitrogen Smart is available to participants that have completed the Fundamentals course. Two sessions, A Deep Dive into the 4Rs and Nitrogen management for a changing climate, are being offered on January 17 prior to the Minnesota Ag Expo in Mankato. Learn more about the 4Rs and practices that determine the profitable rates and how a changing climate can affect nutrient management decisions in the two sessions scheduled for the day.
Nitrogen Smart online
The fundamentals course is also offered online as a self-paced course. If you need to leave the course before you finish, you may come back anytime. Your progress is automatically saved and you should return where you left off. Thanks to the generous support of the Minnesota Corn Growers, there is no charge for the Nitrogen Smart course.
Online enrollment instructions
- When you click on the "Enroll in Nitrogen Smart" button below, you will go to the enrollment page. Pick the available section and select "Add to cart." Proceed to "Checkout."
- After you have clicked "Checkout," you will either login or create a new University of Minnesota guest account to access the course. Note that your email address will be used as your UMN "internet ID" for this course.
Please also note that University passwords must be 16 (!) characters long. We recommend using a phrase you can remember.
- After creating your course login information, you will be directed back to the enrollment checkout process. Fill in only the required information as indicated by an asterisk (*) and "Continue checkout."
- You're now enrolled in the course! You will receive a confirmation email with a link to access the course.