Would you like to receive Commercial Animal Waste Technician (CAWT) news? Information may include applicator and site manager recertification training information including workshop dates, locations and times, online course information, deadline information, and other timely topics. Your info will not be shared for any other purpose.
Re-certify as MDA Commercial Animal Waste Technician (CAWT) by attending one of these trainings. Check your license card for the "Attend Workshop By" date. If it states 12/31/2023, the following workshops will cover your education for recertification for two years (2023 and 2024) as required by MDA for relicensure.
2023 Commercial Animal Waste Technician (CAWT) recertification training for MDA licensure
If you need to recertify in 2023, you can take the online test or retest.
2023 IN-PERSON courses
To receive more information as it becomes available, check back here or sign up below for email updates.
- As of now, no further in-person courses are available for the 2023 calendar year. Please see below for an online course option.
2023 ONLINE CAWT course
Available now through October 31, 2023
2023 ONLINE Course
The Commercial Animal Waste Technician's (CAWT) ONLINE course for recertification serves as training required for MDA licensure. Upon completion of this course, you will be issued a certificate which will meet the requirements for recertification as required by MDA for re-licensure for 2023 and 2024.
This is a self-paced course that will take approximately 3-hours to complete.
- CAWT program updates (MDA)
- Crop and Soil Science (UMN Extension)
- Manure Spills and Discharges (MPCA)
- Water Quality (MDA)
- Safety (UMASH)
Register here to take the online CAWT training
You will need your credit card to register and your CAWT license card to take the course.
- If you have questions about course content, please contact Brenda Postels, Extension Educator, 320-203-6063, email@example.com.
- Registration questions: Extension Registration, firstname.lastname@example.org
- User Name or Password help: UMN Help Desk, HELP@umn.edu, 612-301-4357; let them know you are registering for a non-credit Canvas course.
About the course
CAWT license information — License requirements from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
License lookup — Look up your CAWT license number or expiration date.
- NEW Applicators: If you have not been previously certified and licensed, you must watch the videos and take a quiz from the MN Department of Agriculture. Click here for initial certification instructions.
- Certified Applicators: To be eligible to renew your license, you must meet recertification requirements. You can either rewatch the videos and retake a quiz every year OR attend a recertification course every other year.
- NEW Site Managers: If you have not been previously certified and licensed, you must first pass the certification exam (80% or better) for an initial license. Click here for initial certification instructions
- Certified Site Managers: To be eligible to renew your license you must meet recertification requirements by attending a course once every other year or re-test.