Would you like to receive Commercial Animal Waste Technician (CAWT) news? Information may include applicator and site manager recertification training information including workshop dates, locations and times, online course information, deadline information, and other timely topics. Your info will not be shared for any other purpose.
Re-certify as MDA Commercial Animal Waste Technician (CAWT) by attending one of these trainings.
Sign up for text or email updates
2023 Commercial Animal Waste Technician (CAWT) recertification training for MDA licensure
If you need to recertify in 2023, you can attend a class in person, take the online test or retest.
2023 IN-PERSON courses
To receive more information as it becomes available, check back here or sign up below for email updates.
- July 19th, Sauk Centre, MN
- August 3rd, Farmfest, Redwood County, MN
2023 ONLINE CAWT course
Available in late spring or early summer.
2023 IN-PERSON Courses
Sauk River Watershed District (642 Lincoln Road, Sauk Centre, MN 56378)
$10.00 by cash, credit card or check payable to UMN Extension
- Coffee and light refreshments provided by Stearns DHIA Laboratories
Important: Please bring your CAWT card to class. MDA requires full attendance. Anyone who arrives more than 15 minutes late or leaves early will not receive recertification credit. Class starts promptly at 9:00 A.M
- 8:30 Registration / MDA check in ~All applicators must scan in with MDA to receive credit.
- 9:00 Welcome ~Stearns County SWCD, Megan Herbst
- 9:10 Licensing, Rules, and Regulations ~MDA, Robyn Frederick or Brian Clark
- 9:30 Spills and Discharges – What Actions are Required ~MPCA, Paul Brietzke
- 10:15 Runoff Risk Advisory Forecast ~MDA, Katie Rassmussen
- 10:45 Break - Refreshments provided by Stearns DHIA Laboratories
- 11:00 Characteristics of Manure ~UMN Extension, Chryseis Modderman
- 11:45 Manure is Risky Business - Put Safety First ~UMASH, Devon Charlier
- 12:15 Class adjourns / MDA check out ~All applicators must scan out with MDA to receive credit. Be sure to turn in your survey.
For direct questions regarding the Sauk Centre workshop, please contact:
Megan Herbst, Stearns SWCD at 320-345-6489 or email@example.com
Minnesota FarmFest (28269 MN-67 Morgan, MN 56266)
$20.00 (includes gate fee and recertification fee)
Important: Please bring your CAWT card to class. MDA requires full attendance. Anyone who arrives more than 15 minutes late or leaves early will not receive recertification credit. Class starts promptly at 8:00 A.M
- 7:45 Registration ~ Park and proceed to Gate Two for your gate pass
- 8:00 Gates Open ~ Proceed to Wicks Building for MDA check in
- 8:15 Welcome ~ Brenda Postels, University of Minnesota Extension
- 8:20 MDA CAWT Program Update ~ Robyn Frederick, Minnesota Department of Agriculture
- 8:45 Feedlot Rules Pertaining to Manure Application ~Paul Brietzke, Minnesota Pollution Control Agency
- 9:20 Agriculture Professional Panel
- 10:05 Manure Characteristics ~ Chryseis Modderman, University of Minnesota Extension
- 10:35 Break and Walk to UMASH Pavilion
- 11:00 UMASH Safety Demonstrations - Grain Handling, Confined Spaces, ATV and UTV, Tractor Rollover ~ Upper Midwest Agriculture Safety Health Center
- 11:45 Class adjourns / MDA check out ~All applicators must scan out with MDA to receive credit. Be sure to turn in your survey. Feel free to have lunch on your own and attend equipment demonstrations in the afternoon!
Manure Equipment Demonstrations
CAWT’s are not required to stay after the course ends at 11:45 am. However, we strongly encourage you to stay, visit vendors, and attend the manure equipment demonstrations from 1:30 to 2:30 pm. The demonstrations are FREE and open to the public. They will be held on the Northeast quadrant, outside of the show grounds and are dependent on weather.
- Precision application of solid manure
- Tire configurations to reduce compaction
- Liquid spill and response methods
For direct questions please contact: Brenda Postels, 763-370-3268, firstname.lastname@example.org
About the course
CAWT license information — License requirements from the Minnesota Department of Agriculture.
License lookup — Look up your CAWT license number or expiration date.
- NEW Applicators: If you have not been previously certified and licensed, you must watch the videos and take a quiz from the MN Department of Agriculture. Click here for initial certification instructions.
- Certified Applicators: To be eligible to renew your license, you must meet recertification requirements. You can either rewatch the videos and retake a quiz every year OR attend a recertification course every other year.
- NEW Site Managers: If you have not been previously certified and licensed, you must first pass the certification exam (80% or better) for an initial license. Click here for initial certification instructions
- Certified Site Managers: To be eligible to renew your license you must meet recertification requirements by attending a course once every other year or re-test.
For MDA licensing information please contact:
Email: email@example.com or 651-201-6615
For UMN course information, please contact:
Brenda Postels, UMN Extension Educator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-203-6063