Todd County Agricultural Futures Workshop
Participants in the Todd County Agricultural Futures Workshop put forth ideas to support the industries under discussion. At the end of the workshop, the ideas were posted to the walls of the workshop space. Individuals then indicated which projects they thought should be pursued in Todd County. Following is the list of project ideas.
- Work on housing availability, especially for workers and families
- Note, there was general agreement daycare should be part of this initiative
- Expand goat production and develop processing capacity
- Develop a long-range plan for agriculture in Todd County
- Explore opportunity to increase local beef supply into Long Prairie Packing
- Explore daycare options, especially for “off-hours”
- There was a general agreement this could go with housing
- Collaborate to educate the general public on the importance of agriculture, how it works, and employment opportunities
- Explore opportunities for agri-tourism (example, vineyards and wineries)
About this workshop
To learn more about the role of agriculture in Todd County and to explore future opportunities for development, agricultural leaders and stakeholders from Todd County participated in the University of Minnesota’s Futures Workshop on Wednesday, February 20, 2019 in Browerville, Minnesota. This report, which summarizes the workshop, is presented in partnership with the Todd County Extension Committee.
The Economic Futures Workshop helps community leaders look objectively at the state of their local economy. This workshop focused specifically on the agricultural sector. The workshop examined the interactions within an economy — among businesses and between businesses and consumers. Using information about how these linkages function, leaders can understand the full implications of change in the local economy. The Futures Workshop also helps communities understand the full value or importance of an industry.
The three-hour Futures Workshop provided a profile of the Todd County economy, a profile of agriculture in Todd County, an analysis of how 10 selected industries interact, and a facilitated exploration and discussion of the industries. The workshop ended with the group identifying potential areas for future collaboration.
Reviewed in 2019