The home environment project is about the physical environment of the home. You could learn about decorating, arranging furniture for ease of use and aesthetics, or how to landscape a garden space to make a cozy outdoor space.
What can you do?
In the home environment project, you can:
- Finish, refinish or reupholster a piece of furniture, and take before and after photos.
- Repair, restore, remodel or upcycle an item for the home.
- Put together a description, diagrams/photos, samples and cost of a redecorating or remodeling plan.
- Create an item for the home—for appeal or practical use.
- Create something for home organization and functionality (i.e., make a spice rack).
- Design a meditation garden.
These are just some of the many ways you can participate in this project.
What does it mean to show at the fair?
For 4-H'ers, local and state showcase events (like the Minnesota State Fair) are not just fun events. They provide youth opportunities to exhibit the knowledge and skills they've gained throughout the year– and to continue their learning.
Contact your local 4-H office for home environment project showcase opportunities near you.
Exhibit ideas and judging criteria
Get exhibit ideas and find out what the judge is looking for in the evaluation sheet.
Reviewed in 2023