All in-person Extension meetings, events and classes are canceled through Friday, May 15.
Youth Work Matters
Exploring the research behind positive youth development can be critical to how we understand and work with youth. In this class you will learn skills and create resources to help you work with young people. The content of the course comes from both research and real youth work experience including:
Positive youth development
Basic youth needs
High quality programming
Youth worker expertise
Who should attend
Direct service providers, part-time staff and volunteers who work with youth.
Participants can expect to
- Explore the field of youth development.
- Discuss research and theories.
- Come up with ideas on how to apply the course content to working with youth.
- Develop relationships with other youth workers.
- Participate in interactive and experiential sessions, small group discussions and debate.
- Understand the research behind positive youth development.
- Understand the philosophy and best practices of positive youth development.
- Reflect on your own work with young people.
- Know how to incorporate positive youth development into your program.
- Learn how positive youth development changes the way we work with young people.
"I have never been to a training so uplifting and relevant to my work. I love my job, and was surprised that I could feel even more drawn towards and excited about my work."
"I wish more staff could be trained in this because I believe it could significantly impact how well youth do in the community."
"This applies to every aspect of my daily work."