All in-person Extension meetings, events and classes are canceled through Friday, May 15.
Some fungi molds in grain can produce harmful compounds called mycotoxins. Pigs consuming mycotoxins above their tolerance level will face health and reproductive problems. Submitting samples of contaminated feeds to the laboratory can help you manage your feeding practices and prevent mycotoxin toxicity in your pigs.
Oil content of corn distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS) doesn’t affect growth performance and carcass traits of grow-finish pigs if the sources have similar metabolizable energy (ME) content. But reducing the oil content of DDGS improves pork fat quality.
- With more research, microalgae have the potential to change the sustainability of animal and food production systems.
- Their rapid growth and nutritional content may be valuable for use in swine diets in the future.
- Microalgae could be an alternative feed ingredient that helps support growing populations
- Gut microflora, diet and increases in pathogens interact in swine digestion.
- Formulating diets is a key tool for maintaining gut health and preventing intestinal disease, especially when using less antibiotics.