- Gut microflora, diet and increases in pathogens interact in swine digestion.
- Formulating diets is a key tool for maintaining gut health and preventing intestinal disease, especially when using less antibiotics.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) regulations for on-farm antibiotic use in food-animal production took effect January 1, 2017. These efforts aim to
- Stop the use of medically important antibiotics for growth promotion in food-animal production.
- Medically important refers to antibiotics used in human or animal medicine, or antibiotics in the same family of those medications.
- Bring therapeutic use of antibiotics in feed and water – to treat, control, or prevent specific disease – under additional veterinary oversight.