What's the profitability of produce farms in central Minnesota? How can it improve?
Learn more about financial benchmarks, profitability in central Minnesota and areas for improvement.
Financial benchmarks and economic impact of local food operations
This is the report by Ryan Pesch discussed in the video.
Grower to grower
A similar report from Wisconsin.
Building a sustainable business
Business planning book from Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE).
Next steps: improving profitability
- Compare your farm to those in the report to see how you measure up.
- If you're not farming yet, consider the characteristics of the more profitable operations as you make your own plans.
- Think of ways to make improvements to your farms' profitability.
- What are your most/least profitable crops and enterprises?
- Are your markets worth the effort?
- Could additional enterprises complement what you already do well?
- Would adding market channels allow you to consistently sell your produce?
- Use the resources to help you make plans, assess your operations, and make changes.
Reviewed in 2016