Farmbytes: tips from the field - making an organic dairy work
Hear how a farm in central MN manages their organic dairy successfully.
Tips from the field - making an organic dairy work
What makes their farm successful?
- The farm has focused on breeding cows that do well on pasture and in a barn using a Fleckvieh x Holstein cross.
- They focus on cost-effectiveness using a low input and organic system.
- They supplement their income by custom farming.
- They use rotational grazing on 250 acres of pasture.
- Their effective family partnership is one key to the success of the farm.
Soil management and health
Soil management is very important for organic farming.
Breeding considerations for organic dairy farms
Learn more about breeding dairy cows for organic systems. This article also includes a link to a very informative webinar about breeding organic dairy cows.
Pastures for profit: A guide to rotational grazing (PDF)
Learn the basics of rotational grazing, including how to set up a your system, animal needs and plant growth.
Reviewed in 2018