4-H Veterinary Science Project
What you'll do
Whether you're interested in pets, horse riding, animal training or raising animals for food, learn how to keep them healthy, and how healthy animals and healthy people go together.
- Basic anatomy
- Health and disease
- Normal and abnormal conditions
- Veterinary careers
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
Get started on your own
- What does an aquatic animal veterinarian do?
- Watch this and other videos from the American Veterinary Medical Association
Fairs and exhibits
- Research and report: What is a species? What is a breed?
- Create a display about an animal body function, such as pulse or digestion. Dive deep into how it works in that one animal - or compare how it varies from one animal to another.
- Explore an animal disease - its causes, symptoms and treatment.
- Research the effects of pesticides on animals.
- Make a poster about how to give first aid to an animal.
- Make a first aid kit for an animal.
- Make a video about proper hoof care for an animal.
- Interview a veterinarian and report on what they do.
Future study and careers
You could study veterinary medicine at the University of Minnesota.
Animal care workers groom or train pets. Veterinarians and vet technicians and vet assistants care for sick cats and other pets. They may also research animal diseases and health. Wildlife biologists and zoologists study animals and their ecosystems.
Reviewed in 2018