What you'll do
Explore the sheep industry. Learn to raise and show purebred or crossbred yearling ewes, aged ewes or market lambs. Topics include budgeting, digestive systems, reproduction, genetics, lambing, ethics, marketing and careers.
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
Get started on your own
Already enrolled in the 4-H Sheep Project?
- Sheep information sheet — posted Dec 14, 2021
- AnSci updates for 2022 — posted Dec 14, 2021
- 4-H animal ID requirements and processes
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species
- Animal science 4-H premise ID information
- Cloverbuds and animals
- Leasing a 4-H animal
- Wether dam information
- MLBA 4-H Purple Ribbon Auction information for market animal exhibitors at the MN State Fair.
Join the Minnesota State Fair 4-H show committee
This is a leadership opportunity for 4-H members in grade 9 and up. Represent your fellow 4-H'ers on the livestock show committee, serving with adult volunteers.
What you'll do
- Attend two face to face meetings during the year as youth representative
- Participate in 2-4 calls during the year
- Staff a 4-H livestock information booth the first two days of the Minnesota State Fair
How to apply
Selected applicants will be notified in September and will be invited to a state fair meeting in October. This is a one-year experience, and you can apply for a second year.
Joe Rand, Extension educator and advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
Local livestock committees
You may be able to join your county 4-H livestock committee. Contact your local 4-H office for more information.
Fairs and exhibits
Record keeping & evaluation
- 4-H youth record keeping - Reflect on your project and what you've learned.
- Animal science project interviews evaluation — junior level
- Animal science project interviews evaluation — senior level
- General livestock judging contest evaluation with reasons
You can exhibit
- Registered or commercial yearling ewe
- Registered or commercial January ewe lamb
- Registered or commercial February ewe lamb
- Registered or commercial March ewe lamb
- Wether dam
- Speckle face
- Black face
- White face
Make a wool outfit. Wear it while you're showing your lamb.
Contact your local 4-H office for sign-up deadlines and more info about how to get started.
See requirements for breeds, birth dates and animal ID. These are required for all sheep shows (state and local).
- Livestock interviews
- Science of Animals exhibits
- General livestock judging contest
- General livestock project bowl
Find out about livestock shows near you on your local 4-H website.
Reviewed in 2020