Dairy business management
University of Minnesota Extension provides the resources you need to make running your dairy business easier.
Through our research and outreach, we are working to maintain the stability of individual farms as well as Minnesota's dairy industry overall. We provide practical solutions for dairy families in times of transition, train dairy industry professionals to support producers, and discover methods for reducing costs and raising profits.
- Like most industries, the dairy industry suffers from margin compression over time.
- You can prevent your family’s standard of living from declining by using strategies on your farm.
- Robots are good at milking and can harvest high-quality milk consistently.
- Robots improve lifestyle, decrease labor and allow family labor to milk more cows.
- Proper management is key to robot success.
Dairy cost of production calculator (Google Sheet)
- Cost of production will vary by farm and by size of the farm.
- If you do not know your farm costs, you can go to the FINBIN database to retrieve cost estimates for dairy farms of different sizes and regions of the state.
- If you do not have records for what your costs are, start keeping records. This spreadsheet can help track costs.
Considering value added?
Learn more in these videos
Opportunities for Value Added Dairy - Becca Jablonski, assistant professor and food systems extension economist at Colorado State University
- What You Need to Know About Financing Dairy Processing - Amanda Durow, senior credit officer, CoBank
- Identifying and Selecting Value-Added Opportunities for Your Farm - Betty Berning, Betty Berning Consulting
- AURI opportunities and resources - Jennifer Wagner-Lahr