Extension offers many online learning opportunities for convenience, safety, and wider access. We hope your online learning experience will meet your needs and enrich your skills.
Taking an online class or webinar can present challenges. Some technology may not work smoothly, especially at first. We are here to help you succeed at online learning.
Helpful resources and tips
What do you need help with?
Sometimes taking online courses through a phone or mobile connection can be difficult. A computer and a good internet connection can help.
Most Extension online learning registrations are completed via the University's registration site, learning.umn.edu.
It is common that learners have trouble logging in to learning.umn.edu. Here are some things to try:
- Note that your UMN "Internet ID" is the email you used when you created your registration account.
- You can reset your account password online
If you are still having trouble logging in to the registration site, contact the University of Minnesota IT Help Line: 612-301-4357 or email@example.com
If you have specific problems registering for an Extension online course or event, we have a team to help. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Occasionally, registrations are taken via Zoom registration. A University account or log in is not required to join a Zoom.
Extension learners who have difficulty accessing online learning materials due to a disability may be eligible to receive such materials in an alternative format. Direct requests to 612-624-1222 or the course instructor.
If you register for an Extension Zoom event, you will be sent an email with instructions for joining. The instructor will guide you in using the platform. Your experience in Zoom will differ somewhat depending on your device.
Prior to the webinar or meeting (optional): Join a test meeting to test your internet connection, audio and video settings.
Extension sometimes uses the University of Minnesota's online learning tool, Canvas, for our online courses.
The most common issue with Canvas is learners 'losing' the link to find their course. You can log in to canvas.umn.edu and find all of the Canvas courses you have signed up for there.
Other tips for Canvas learners:
- Here is the list of browsers that work with Canvas. Canvas does NOT work well with Safari so please avoid using it if possible.
- We recommend viewing Canvas courses in a computer's web browser, rather than on a small screen like a phone or small mobile device.
- Talk to your course instructor if you need help finding things or navigating the Canvas course.
- If you are having technical trouble with Canvas, contact the University of Minnesota IT Help Line: 612-301-4357 or email@example.com.