All in-person Extension meetings, events and classes are canceled through May 31.
Dan Patch and Youth Leadership Awards
The Youth Leadership Award and Dan Patch Award both recognize youth leadership in the 4-H Horse Project. The Dan Patch award is for 4-H'ers in tenth grade and older. The Youth Leadership Award is for 4-H'ers in grades 6-9.
The public is invited to watch Phase 2 of the coveted Dan Patch Award, in which 20 finalists compete interview-style. The winner is recognized -- and gets center-aisle stalling -- at the Minnesota 4-H State Horse Show.
You must have:
- Been enrolled in Minnesota 4-H horse project for at least two years (includes horseless horse)
- Have at least one year of horse-related leadership
- Participated in at least one of these:
- Winter Roundup
- YELLO, BLU or similar county, region, state or national leadership event
- Speech/Demonstration at State Horse Show
- Judging or Hippology team
- Horse Bowl
- County leadership workshop, camp or retreat
Phase 1 - Apply
Send in your application, completed and signed by the required adults, including resumes and portfolio. They are judged first on their resume and portfolio by teams of judges using a standard scoring and feedback worksheet. The final combined score from that judging determines the winners of the six State Horse Show trips in the youth leadership group and the top 20 from the Dan Patch division. In addition, these scores are used to award national leadership trips to 11 youth, 14 years of age and older.
Phase 1 deadline: April 8
Dan Patch application This document includes:
- Phase I application requirements and process
- Phase II requirements and process
- Responsibilities for finalists
- Signature page
Phase 2 - Judging Day
The top 20 Dan Patch finalists will be invited to attend Phase II Judging Day in June. They are judged on a personal interview, a group problem discussion and a presentation. Scores from that event are combined with the resume and portfolio scores to determine the top 10 finalists and the winner of the Dan Patch award.
Results will be announced at Phase 2 - Judging Day in June.
Winner: Laura Shoutz, Meeker
First Runner Up: Caleb Johnson, Chippewa
Second Runner Up: Lauren Olson, Chisago
Top 10 finalists:
Morgan Schmidt, Chippewa
Shelby Reeser, LeSueur
McKenzie Cselovski, Brown
Skyler Corner, Chippewa
Katie Orth, Morrison
Allyana Eblen, Meeker
Ethan Klaseus, Nicollet
- Completed sixth grade but not yet started tenth grade.
- Have participated in at least one of these:
Applications are due in April. See application for details.
Results will be announced in June.
Eliza Sankovitz, Waseca
Leah Goldade, Anoka
Jaycee Hegg, Morrison
Zoe Eblen, Meeker
Claire Grube, Chisago
Andrew Hellendrung, Brown