4-H Clothing & Textiles Project
What you'll do
Have you ever dreamed about designing your own clothing? Learn the basics of sewing construction and how to make simple clothing and accessories. Develop skills in design and fashion illustration, business and marketing, technology in sewing, and learn about careers in the textile industry.
Levels of learning
Fairs & exhibits
Clothes you make
- Sew a simple constructed garment such as a blouse, shirt, trousers, skirt or dress.
- Sew a more complicated garment, such as one with a lining, cuffs with ribbing or a zipper.
- Try sewing a garment your have designed yourself.
- Use yarns or fibers in a creative way: Make an item of clothing from cross stitch, knitting or crocheting.
- Try creating something entirely new, such as wearable art, recycled or altered, or a garment or outfit that displays your culture.
- Create a garment sewn in a fabric or technique new to you, such as microfiber, satin, synthetic suede, etc.
Clothes you buy
This is all about wardrobe planning and knowledge. You can choose to show a garment or outfit you bought, with a notebook that includes a photo of yourself wearing it and a consumer analysis of the purchase. For example:
- Work uniform
- Themed outfit: seasonal, cultural, event-specific, etc.
- Historical period costume
- Comparisons of brand names or designers
- Research on career choices in textiles and fashion
- Costume history
This is a chance to show what you know about clothing and fashion. For example you can:
- Do a personal color analysis.
- Do a hair and makeup assessment for facial and body type.
- Make accessory enhancements to outfits.
- Select an outfit for a specific occasion.
- Complete a wardrobe analysis.
- Display design, color and fabric choices for your size, age and body type.
- Alter and fit a garment.
Reviewed in 2018