What you'll do
Llamas and alpacas (both members of the camelidae family) make excellent pets and working animals, and also produce wool for textiles. Learn about care, grooming, feeding, training, social behavior and communication, fiber types, guard llamas, showing, judging, careers and marketing.
Levels of learning
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
Get started on your own
Already involved in the llama - alpaca project?
- Llama - alpaca information sheet — posted Dec 14, 2021
- AnSci updates for 2022 — posted Dec 14, 2021
- 4-H animal ID requirements and processes
- Animal science show requirements sheet for all species
- Llama - alpaca fleece judging at state fair guidelines — updated December 2018
- Cloverbuds and animals
- Leasing a 4-H animal
Join the Minnesota State Fair 4-H show committee
This is a leadership opportunity for 4-H members in grade 9 and up. Represent your fellow 4-H'ers on the livestock show committee, serving with adult volunteers.
What you'll do
- Attend two face to face meetings during the year as youth representative
- Participate in 2-4 calls during the year
- Staff a 4-H livestock information booth the first two days of the Minnesota State Fair
How to apply
Selected applicants will be notified in September and will be invited to a state fair meeting in October. This is a one-year experience, and you can apply for a second year.
Joe Rand, Extension educator and advisor, email@example.com
Local livestock committees
You may be able to join your county 4-H livestock committee. Contact your local 4-H office for more information.
Leader's Manual for Llama Activities (Washington State)
Llamas and Alpacas Helper's Guide (Purdue)
Llamas and Alpacas: Keeping a Small-Scale Camelid Herd - tips for buying and care (for sale)
Alpaca Keeping - guide to farming, care , diet, health and breeding (for sale)
To volunteer with 4-H in your area, contact your local 4-H office.
Fairs and exhibits
- 4-H llama - alpaca record
- 4-H youth record keeping — reflect on your project and share it.
- Animal science project interviews evaluation - junior level (PDF)
- Animal science project interviews evaluation - senior level (PDF)
- Llama - Alpaca Showmanship Score Sheet
- Llama - Alpaca Performance Score Sheet
- Llama - Alpaca Fleece Judging Score Sheet
You can exhibit
Contact your local 4-H office for sign-up deadlines and more info about how to get started showing your:
- Llama - alpaca in costume class
- Llama - alpaca in obstacle course class
- Llama - alpaca in public relations class
- Llama - alpaca in showmanship class
- Llama - alpaca fiber
- Llama - alpaca poster
See requirements for breeds, birth dates and animal ID. These are required for all llama - alpaca shows (state and local).
Find out about livestock shows near you on your local 4-H website.
Reviewed in 2022