It’s time to start working with your 4-H animal projects. We hope you find your projects both challenging and rewarding. You will need to identify all 4-H animal projects; breeding heifers, cow/calf pairs, prospect calves (steers and heifers), dairy, dairy goats, dog, horse, llama-alpaca, meat goats, poultry (doves and pigeons), rabbits, sheep, and swine. Animals MUST be identified in 4-H Online by May 15, 2023. All market beef should have been identified by February 15, 2023. Cloverbuds do not need to identify animals at this time.
For more information on Animal IDs, visit the University of Minnesota Extension Animal IDs for 2023.
- Read through the appropriate information sheet for the animal(s) that you will be identifying and the Minnesota 4-H AnSci Updates for 2023. These documents include information for identification, animal project rules, classes, State Fair participation and more. Locate your species information sheet below: (note: horse does not have an info sheet)
Llama-Alpaca Information Sheet
- Do you need a 4-H tag? Double check the MN 4-H Animal Science identification requirements table. If so, contact the Itasca County Extension Office for your 4-H tag(s). All market project animals, commercial animals, and prospect calves will need a 4-H tag. Taggers are available for you to check out and use; please inquire about the return procedure.
- If your animal is leased, you must upload a Minnesota 4-H Lease Information Form into 4-H Online by May 15, 2023 with 4-H Online ID information. NOTE: Market animals may not be leased.
- Locate the appropriate species ID Worksheet to assist you in collecting the required ID information for entering your animal information into 4-H Online.
Beef - Prospect Calf ID Worksheet
Beef - Breeding Heifer ID Worksheet
Meat Goat - Market Goat ID Worksheet
Meat Goat - Meat Breeding Does ID Worksheet
Poultry - Pigeon/Dove ID Worksheet NOTE: all other poultry projects do not need to be identified at this time.
- Enter your animal identification information into 4-H Online by May 15, 2023. (Note: all market beef should have been identified by February 15, 2023) Utilize the animal ID’ing tip sheet for ease in entering your animal information. If you are unable to enter your information into 4-H Online, please bring your completed ID worksheet to the Extension Office for assistance in entering your ID information into 4-H Online by the end of business day on May 15, 2023.
- An AFTER HOURS helpline is available for use if you are experiencing challenges with your identification process. Please use these helplines during the available hours only. All other calls for assistance should be directed to Rebecca Rasmussen at the Itasca County Extension Office during normal business hours 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.. Helpline dates and hours:
- Sunday, May 14 4:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. 218-232-5174
- Monday, May 15 4:30 p.m. - 11:59 p.m. 507-369-6896
Remember, by May 15, 2023, you must own your animal, have the appropriate ID applied, and enter the animal information into 4-H Online. Please contact Rebecca Rasmussen at 218-327-2801, 218-259-8111 or Rasm0071@umn.edu with any questions.