ProHort is for industry professionals, homeowners, educators, and anyone looking for comprehensive horticulture foundation education from University of Minnesota Extension. The ProHort course includes the same classes offered for the Master Gardener Volunteer Core Course. Receive the same instruction without the obligation of volunteering or continuing education.
Industry professionals taking the course can earn three Minnesota Nursery and Landscape Association continuing education credits (please confirm with MNLA).
About the class
Course participants receive access to Canvas the first week of January and can work with course materials throughout the year.
Take the online course through the Canvas learning platform. All course participants must have an email address and a reliable internet connection to access the materials and complete training. Each module includes:
- Recorded lectures with images and script.
- Web resources.
- Assignments for practical application of concepts.
- A post-quiz to see what you learned.
- Forum for questions and discussion.
Each class module focuses on one aspect of a horticulture-related topic:
- Botany and horticulture
- Soils, composting and fertilizers
- Herbaceous plants
- Woody plants
- Lawn care
- Growing vegetables
- Growing fruit
- Indoor plants
- Integrated pest management (IPM)
- Plant pathology
- Plant diagnostics
- Living with wildlife
After the class
- You will receive a certificate of completion once you have completed the final quiz.
- There is no professional designation or title given for completing the ProHort class.
- You may include the class on your resume as professional development.
- ProHort students do not receive University credits.
Contact the Arboretum Education Office at ArbEdu@umn.edu or 612-301-1210.
- Online course $599 Arb, MSHS, MNLA or ASLA-MN member
- Online course $599 non-member
- Online course + printed course companion $599 Arb, MSHS, MNLA or ASLA-MN member
- Online course + printed course companion $639 non-member