Learn about the science of flight by doing hands-on activities, and develop an understanding of science, engineering and technology in aerospace.
What can you do?
In the aerospace project, you can:
- Build and launch a rocket.
- Design an airplane or fly your own hot-air balloon.
- Explore Bournelli’s principle of flight.
- Learn about safety techniques when flying rockets or airplanes.
These are just some of the many ways you can participate in this project.
Get started with 4-H'ers in your area
- Contact your local 4-H office for more info.
Get started on your own
- National 4-H activity books (for sale)
- Iowa 4-H Aerospace Project Hot Sheet (free download)
- Ohio 4-H aerospace activity books (free download)
- Make paper airplanes! Race them or compete for distance with a friend.
- Identify different types of aircraft you see in the sky or at the airport.
- Learn star constellations. How do they change throughout the year? How are they different in Minnesota than they are in the southern hemisphere?
What does it mean to show at the fair?
For 4-H'ers, local and state showcase events (like the Minnesota State Fair) are not just fun events. They provide youth opportunities to exhibit the knowledge and skills they've gained throughout the year– and to continue their learning.
Contact your local 4-H office for aerospace project showcase opportunities near you.
Exhibit ideas and judging criteria
Get exhibit ideas and find out what the judge is looking for in the evaluation sheet.
Reviewed in 2018