4-H Flower Gardening Project
See this page in: English
Grow your own flowers! Learn about annuals, biennials and perennials. Design and plant a flower garden, start flowers from seed, create flower arrangements or do a science exhibit on a flower project. Learn about soils, watering, fertilizer, propagation, houseplants and more in this 4-H project.
Levels of learning
Contact your local 4-H office to ask about flower gardening clubs in your area.
- Identify different types of gardens.
- Grow and maintain a garden.
- Plant seeds.
- Learn pest management techniques.
- Examine parts of a plant and discover the functions of those parts.
- Learn to identify and use common garden tools.
- Adopt a flower bed at a park.
- Make a compost bed for a community garden.
- Help an elderly or disabled person by planting flowers in their yard.
- Organize a flower/vegetable sale to raise money for a special cause or for your 4-H club.
Fairs and exhibits
- Make a poster about parts of a plant.
- Create a notebook of common plants for a butterfly garden.
- Design a landscape for your home.
- Make planters for accessible gardening.