Sign up for research-based information and event notifications via email from U of M Extension's small farms team.
See this page in: English
We help Minnesota's small farm owners succeed as stewards of the land.
Farmbytes are bite-sized, self-guided introductions to a variety of topics related to your small farm including videos and recommended resources.
- Mobile poultry huts help protect birds and can move around the pasture.
- Get step-by-step instructions on how to build your own mobile poultry hut.
- Providing proper access to water for cattle in a managed grazing system is critical.
- Learn the different methods for getting water to cattle in a rotational grazing system.
- Learn how one farm in Minnesota operates their organic dairy.
- Making your own feeder can save money.
- Feed your poultry with the right size feeder for your birds and facility.
- There are multiple types of fencing, each with their own advantages and disadvantages.
- Learn what many graziers use.
- There are different fencing options depending on your livestock.
- Choosing the right equipment for your needs can make using temporary fencing easy.
- What's the profitability of produce farms in central Minnesota?
- Ideas for improvement.
- Your marketing strategy is crucial to your farm's success.
- Learn how to develop a marketing strategy.
- Manage nutrients by sampling your soils using proper techniques.
- Once you have your soil sample results, follow application guidelines.
- The USDA Web Soil Survey tool provides basic information on suitable uses and best management practices for different types of soils.
- High-tunnel raspberry production can improve yields and berry quality.
Learn about planting layout, spacing, cultivated varieties and more.
- Thinning apple trees will improve size and quality of fruit and reduce alternate bearing.
- Learn how and when to hand-thin apples.