4-H Fishing Project
See this page in: English
What you'll do
- Learn about fish species and habitats
- Experiment with fishing gear, baits and lures
- Tie knots, lines and flies
- Research fishing regulations
- Explore fishing careers
Levels of learning
Fairs & exhibits
- Identify 10 Minnesota fish; describe their habitats and needs
- Make a display about the life history of a Minnesota fish
- Create a model or video showing the internal and external parts of a fish
- Tell about safety practices for fishing and boating
- Explain a fisheries management plan. How would you increase or decrease the size of a fish population?
- Explain how water quality affects fish ecosystems
- Show a variety of fishing knots, how each of them is used and where
- Make a display of fishing equipment, such as lures, rods, ice fishing rig, etc and explain what they're for
- Explain how at least five types of natural bait are used, captured, cared for and transported
- Display different kinds of lures and explain how they use color, flash, sound, smell or action to attract fish
- Make a video of how to clean a fish, and cook it properly
- What's the nutritional value of eating fish? Show how it's safely store and cooked.
- How has the number of fish species changed over the past century? Explain the reasons for the changes
- Find out about an invasive aquatic species and how it affects fish populations.
- Which fish are most sensitive to water quality? Why?
Reviewed in 2018