See this page in: English
Nitrogen Smart is a training program for producers that presents fundamentals for maximizing economic return on nitrogen investments while minimizing nitrogen losses.
The morning Nitrogen Smart: Fundamentals session delivers high-quality, research-based education so producers can learn:
- Sources of nitrogen (N) for crops
- How nitrogen is lost from soil and how you can reduce losses
- How to manage nitrogen in drainage systems
- What the Nutrient Reduction Strategy and Nitrogen Fertilizer Management Plan mean for Minnesota producers
- Practices to refine nitrogen management, including split applications, alternative N fertilizers, soil and tissue testing and N models
Nitrogen Smart certification is valid for three years after participants complete the Fundamentals course. The Advanced Nitrogen Smart session, which focuses on manure management, is available to returning participants or to new participants that attend the morning Fundamentals course.
Attend in person
The Nitrogen Smart trainings are presented by University of Minnesota Extension, funded by Minnesota Corn Growers, and hosted by the Minnesota Agriculture Water Resource Center at several locations throughout Minnesota typically during February and March. Pre-registration is not required and there is no registration fee.
Complete the course online
Nitrogen Smart is also available as an online course. This new and interactive training program creates a unique experience for producers based on their own operation and region. Try it out!