Welcome to Itasca County
Itasca County partners with Extension to deliver practical education and research you can use at home, at work and in your community.
4-H Youth Development is a hands-on learning program for Minnesota youth. We offer online, small group and independent learning experiences for youth of all ages. In 4-H, youth choose the topic they find interesting and caring adults support their learning and leadership. From agronomy to space exploration and creative arts to outdoor adventures, 4-H has just the right learning experience for young people.
There are many ways to participate in 4-H!
Find the latest on Extension agricultural research and news you can use on your farm from local experts.
Statewide news and blogs
- Agricultural Business Management News - Business and financial resources for farmers.
- Beef News - Beef industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Dairy News - Dairy industry featured events, farm safety and animal health.
- Fruit and Vegetable News - Local production and marketing of fruit and vegetable crops in Minnesota.
- Minnesota Crop News - Emerging issues affecting Minnesota row crops and forages.
Do you have questions about gardening?
Our Master Gardeners have experience with a wide range of special interests. From alternative insect and disease control to wildlife, Itasca County is rich with Master Gardener knowledge.
- Get information about best plants and gardening practices for Minnesota lawns, landscapes, and gardens.
- Diagnose: identify weeds, insects, and plant diseases with our online tools.
- Have a gardening question? Ask a Master Gardener.
- Itasca County Master Gardeners Facebook.
Itasca County Master Gardeners hotline
If you have a question, call us at 218-327-0676 leaving your name, telephone number, and your question. One of our knowledgeable gardeners will call you back.
Find the latest gardening tips and news you can use in your own back yard from local experts.
- Yard and Garden News - Gardening tips and emerging issues affecting Minnesota.
- My Minnesota Woods - Find out how to take care of your trees and enjoy Minnesota's beautiful woodlands.
- Natural Resources News - From preserving our wetlands to combating invasive species, read about protecting and enjoying nature.
Health and nutrition
Extension offers a variety of educational programs about nutrition and health in Itasca County. These programs are open to families and individuals of all ages who are eligible for benefits through the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or who meet Extension’s program income guidelines.
Programs are offered in community settings such as food shelves, schools, community centers and public housing sites. The programs are free to all individuals and families who meet income guidelines, and may be offered in multiple languages, depending on the audience needs and availability of educators.
Itasca County Extension
Allison Hansen, Extension educator, 4-H Youth Development
email@example.com or 218-327-7312
Courtney Johnson, Extension educator, 4-H Youth Development
firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-327-7365
Drew Winegar, Principal Office & Administrative Specialist
email@example.com or 218-327-7486
Jodi Nordlund, SNAP-Ed Educator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-327-7356
Rebecca Rasmussen, Extension educator, 4-H Youth Development
email@example.com or 218-327-2801
Extension brings Minnesotans together to build a better future through University science-based knowledge, expertise and training. Learn more about Extension by visiting our about page and by browsing this website.